Meteorology B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Meteorology B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
silverheart7
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by silverheart7 »

I'm really excited for Meteorology this year. Does anyone know any good videos/documentaries/movies for this year's topic? There are so many to choose from, so if you find any ones you'd reccommend, can you let me know? Thanks and this year is going to be great :D
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

silverheart7 wrote:I'm really excited for Meteorology this year. Does anyone know any good videos/documentaries/movies for this year's topic? There are so many to choose from, so if you find any ones you'd reccommend, can you let me know? Thanks and this year is going to be great :D
Like I said before, Meteorology today is the best resource. I'd say that the Audubon meteorology guide would be helpful for cloud ID. Also; go over plenty of tests involving weather maps, METAR, etc...
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

Thanks again! I have a copy of Meteorology Today already and I'll go check out the Audobon. :D I already know the basic cloud types, but do we need to know rare cloud formations too?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
tornado guy

Post by tornado guy »

silverheart7 wrote:Thanks again! I have a copy of Meteorology Today already and I'll go check out the Audobon. :D I already know the basic cloud types, but do we need to know rare cloud formations too?
What do you mean by rare cloud formations?

bri2433
Division: B
State: MS

Post by bri2433 »

First year on Meteorology, Any tips?
♥BAZINGA!♥
*This user is prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse
havenbro
State: PA

Post by havenbro »

tornado guy wrote:
silverheart7 wrote:Thanks again! I have a copy of Meteorology Today already and I'll go check out the Audobon. :D I already know the basic cloud types, but do we need to know rare cloud formations too?
What do you mean by rare cloud formations?
I'm going to guess different accessory clouds, or like Pyrocumulus and Noticilucent. Yeah, that fun stuff.

Now for my question: How can I learn METAR? I think I know the basics, but I've seen so many variations. Are there rules as to what kind of METAR they can use?
Nationals Medals:
2012: Meteorology B (6th Place)
2013: Reach for the Stars B (3rd Place)
Mr Sarcastic
State: TN

Post by Mr Sarcastic »

bri2433 wrote:First year on Meteorology, Any tips?
One of the most important things is knowing how to read a weather station model. I can almost guarantee that they will be on every test you will ever take this year for meteorology. Drawing isobars and isotherms are pretty common too, as well as labeling cloud types and layers of the atmosphere. Easy points for all of those.
You do get one sheet on notes to take in, front and back (my school calls it a cheat sheet :lol: ), so make as much use of that as you can.
Events: Meteorology, Forestry, Keep the Heat, Shock Value, Mission Possible, Heredity, Anatomy, Metric Mastery

2013 Medals/Ribbons:
Anatomy- 2nd
Forestry- 2nd
Heredity- 6th, 1st
Meteorology- 3rd, 1st
Metrics- 4th
Keep the Heat- 7th, 1st
Shock- 7th

"We're back, Jack!"
tornado guy

Post by tornado guy »

Mr Sarcastic wrote: One of the most important things is knowing how to read a weather station model. I can almost guarantee that they will be on every test you will ever take this year for meteorology. Drawing isobars and isotherms are pretty common too, as well as labeling cloud types and layers of the atmosphere. Easy points for all of those.
You do get one sheet on notes to take in, front and back (my school calls it a cheat sheet :lol: ), so make as much use of that as you can.
Hahaha, we also call it cheat sheet XD.. But yeah, your notes are really important, if you know how to make a cheat sheet, you should do OK in a test even if you don't understand the concepts fully.

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

The [wiki]Meteorology/Everyday Weather[/wiki] can serve as a general guide for learning the basic parts of the event. To do better, you have to do some more research outside, but most of the foundation is there.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2013 Study Events”