Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by Jim_R »

Designer Genes Wiki (also applicable for Heredity)
Designer Genes Test Archive
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
Cheesy Pie
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Has heredity ever been a B event before? I'm considering doing it, and I'm curious.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
thehydrogenpoptart
Division: C
State: NY

Post by thehydrogenpoptart »

Are we allowed any reference materials for this event? Reference materials weren't allowed in the version of the rules of Designer Genes that I read, so I'm wondering if they're allowed for Heredity.
Current Events: Dynamic Planet, Entomology, and Experimental Design
Past events: Battery Buggy, Optics, Crime Busters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Mission Possible, Compute This, Food Science, Heredity, Metric Mastery, Rotor Egg Drop, Meteorology, Boomilever, Experimental Design, Geologic Mapping
dustykingwood
Division: B
State: TX

Post by dustykingwood »

Cant wait for this event! Sooooo physced!
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

i wonder if designer genes is also gonna be about heredity...
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
Mr Sarcastic
State: TN

Post by Mr Sarcastic »

deezee wrote:i wonder if designer genes is also gonna be about heredity...
I think they're both about the same subject, but Designer Genes is just more in-depth.
Events: Meteorology, Forestry, Keep the Heat, Shock Value, Mission Possible, Heredity, Anatomy, Metric Mastery

2013 Medals/Ribbons:
Anatomy- 2nd
Forestry- 2nd
Heredity- 6th, 1st
Meteorology- 3rd, 1st
Metrics- 4th
Keep the Heat- 7th, 1st
Shock- 7th

"We're back, Jack!"
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

Heredity is just one aspect of Designer Genes. Looking at old practice tests, I've found there are some questions dealing with heredity, but there's really so much more than that in genetics.
Mathc314

Post by Mathc314 »

Cheesy Pie wrote:Has heredity ever been a B event before? I'm considering doing it, and I'm curious.
I think it was a B division topic a few years ago and its in a 2-year rotation with Bioprocess lab and Microbe Mission for B division. My brother just graduated from high school last year and I know he did heredity when he was in middle school, so yes, there should be people out there who have done this event before, but they're probably no longer in high school. Also, there should be old tests out there.
As for Designer Genes, I would think that it would be in a similar rotation as Heredity in B, but I have no real idea about that event.
"The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." -Abe Lincoln
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

NCSO and VASO ran Heredity/Designer Genes as an event last year, and while I can't find the VA rules (it was posted online but it was probably taken down after the website was updated), the 2012 NC rules are here: http://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/rul ... Crules.pdf

I should mention that in VA, the Heredity/Designer Genes rules were exactly the same. But that was last year, and it was a trial event.

The description of "Heredity" on NC's website says that "Teams will solve problems and analyze data or diagrams using their knowledge of the basic principles of genetics" while the Designer Genes description reads "Teams will solve problems using their knowledge of the molecular basis of heredity." So, the Div C version will be a little more in-depth (as usual), but I think it's safe to assume that the two events will be similar. Regardless, expect to solve a lot of genetic problems such as these.
Mathc314 wrote:
Cheesy Pie wrote:Has heredity ever been a B event before? I'm considering doing it, and I'm curious.
I think it was a B division topic a few years ago and its in a 2-year rotation with Bioprocess lab and Microbe Mission for B division. My brother just graduated from high school last year and I know he did heredity when he was in middle school, so yes, there should be people out there who have done this event before, but they're probably no longer in high school. Also, there should be old tests out there.
As for Designer Genes, I would think that it would be in a similar rotation as Heredity in B, but I have no real idea about that event.
I don't know for sure, but the last 3 Div C bio events were Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, and Designer Genes, so maybe those three events rotate...?
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Sure glad I did genetics in science last year. ;) So, if I get to do Heredity this year, I'll have an edge. Plus, my mother loved genetics.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE

Return to “2013 Study Events”