Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

JTMess
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by JTMess »

Finally got my rules manual today... looks like they're changing the max dimensions from 30cmx30cm to 15cmx15cm. Hopefully we'll see some significantly different designs from this change!
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st
havenbro
Division: C
State: PA

Post by havenbro »

JTMess wrote:Finally got my rules manual today... looks like they're changing the max dimensions from 30cmx30cm to 15cmx15cm. Hopefully we'll see some significantly different designs from this change!
15x15? Wow, I didn't expect that much. But that's really all you need, when my device was 30x30, I just knew that no heat escaped past something like 10cm from the center. I was planning my device this year to be significantly smaller, now it will be much smaller.
Nationals Medals:
2012: Meteorology B (6th Place)
2013: Reach for the Stars B (3rd Place)
JTMess
State: NY

Post by JTMess »

havenbro wrote:
JTMess wrote:Finally got my rules manual today... looks like they're changing the max dimensions from 30cmx30cm to 15cmx15cm. Hopefully we'll see some significantly different designs from this change!
15x15? Wow, I didn't expect that much. But that's really all you need, when my device was 30x30, I just knew that no heat escaped past something like 10cm from the center. I was planning my device this year to be significantly smaller, now it will be much smaller.
The 15x15 is for division C, I'm not sure yet about the division B rules.
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st
havenbro
Division: C
State: PA

Post by havenbro »

JTMess wrote:
havenbro wrote:
The 15x15 is for division C, I'm not sure yet about the division B rules.
Dissapointmentness. We'll see, I'm going get my copy of the manual soon.
Nationals Medals:
2012: Meteorology B (6th Place)
2013: Reach for the Stars B (3rd Place)
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Actually, C division last year was a 20 cm cube, which we shrunk to a 15cm cube this year. B division went from 30 cm to 20 cm.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

when it says topics may include:~~~~~, does it mean it's limited to these topics?
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

awesome90220 wrote:when it says topics may include:~~~~~, does it mean it's limited to these topics?
No. Topics may include, but are not limited to. This is why I have a 1.5 inch binder. I'll let you see it at the first meeting--assuming, of course, that you're actually there.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

foreverphysics wrote: No. Topics may include, but are not limited to. This is why I have a 1.5 inch binder. I'll let you see it at the first meeting--assuming, of course, that you're actually there.
Unfortunately this illustrates a minor issue we have with the rules: we clearly indicate new additions each year via bolding, but we don't indicate deletions. If you compare the new rules to last year rules, you'll notice we removed the words 'but are not limited to'. Our intention is for the written test to be limited to the topics listed. Standard disclaimer of course about this not being the place for official clarifications, etc. etc.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

chalker wrote:
foreverphysics wrote: No. Topics may include, but are not limited to. This is why I have a 1.5 inch binder. I'll let you see it at the first meeting--assuming, of course, that you're actually there.
Unfortunately this illustrates a minor issue we have with the rules: we clearly indicate new additions each year via bolding, but we don't indicate deletions. If you compare the new rules to last year rules, you'll notice we removed the words 'but are not limited to'. Our intention is for the written test to be limited to the topics listed. Standard disclaimer of course about this not being the place for official clarifications, etc. etc.
Thanks
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

Chalker - Any thoughts on the legality of paraffin based phase change materials......?
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

Return to “2013 Lab Events”