Sounds of Music B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Sounds of Music B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
foreverphysics
State: AL

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by foreverphysics »

If you are making a pernambuco bow, would it be fine to just buy a blank and carve the rest of the bow, or should you buy an entire raw block of wood?
Also, pernambuco is dang expensive. Most of the wood I can find is $300 or more...what other kind of wood would you use to make a bow? I'd prefer pernambuco, but unless I find something a little less costly...
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
nomynameisnotkevin
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by nomynameisnotkevin »

I had a stringed instrument last year, but I ended up just plucking...
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

nomynameisnotkevin wrote:I had a stringed instrument last year, but I ended up just plucking...
I did the same, because frankly, it sounded like a 4th grade orchestra when I tried bowing it.

Honestly, I don't think you need pernambuco for a Sounds bow. If you must go for pro stuff, brazilwood will be fine, but seriously...tree branch? (And I'd think buying a blank and carving from that would be fine.)
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

Most of the reason I want pernambuco is because I KNOW I cannot make a decent sounding bow from regular wood. If I make it from pernambuco, there is a higher chance that the tone quality will not be terrible. And as I am trying to find a violin workshop in a city pretty near me, I am definitely not trying to carve it on my own. But still...pernambuco=much better chance of good bow.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

I'm curious, what do you think of creating a flute? It's not an instrument I've studied (such as french horn or violin), but I can play decently, especially if I do a lot of practicing before competition season. A flute can have a basic design and I've heard mixed results about them. Do any of you have an opinion?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Flutes (and their vertical counterparts, recorders) were actually fairly popular from what I saw when wind instruments were required. It fell off a little bit last year, though, maybe because wind instruments are perceived as the most intimidating of the choices?

EDIT: Aha, yes, Infinity Flat has it right. That's what I'm trying to say
|
|
V
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

Generally, I'd say its easy to make a wind instrument that works , but very hard to make a wind instrument that sounds good.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

I will make a flute if my violin doesn't work out...It could be as simple as a Chinese bamboo flute, which I have at least some idea of how to play.

Also, is this event really as much of a death wish as everyone says it is?

mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

I bet for Divison B it'll be much easier.

Return to “2013 Build Events”