Astronomy C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Astronomy C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
BYHscioly
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by BYHscioly »

Hey does anyone know what the DSO's are this year? I know the rules manuals came out but we haven't ordered them yet.
1st Fermi (2013), 2nd Astro (2014), 3rd DP (2014), 4th DP (2012)
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

BYHscioly wrote:Hey does anyone know what the DSO's are this year? I know the rules manuals came out but we haven't ordered them yet.
I am not sure if anyone has received the rules yet. Personally I would speculate that the only DSOs that might repeat are star forming regions due to the topic change from low to high mass stars.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

Rules seem to be delayed (grrrr.) Donna Young, the National Event Supervisor for Astronomy posted her powerpoint from the summer coaches institute here http://www.aavso.org/science-olympiad-2012 . It includes the list of objects for this year.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

What event is most similar to Astronomy? Well, not similar, but overlapping or relevant topics?
Medal Counter: 73
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

The only thing close is Div B Reach - Astro happens to be focusing on stellar evolution this year, but that's not always the case ('twas AGNs/galaxies for a few years, and varstars before that). TPS might touch on a few of the straight physics eqs (circular motion, escape velocity, etc), and Fermi might help just a bit with unit conversions, but Astro really is like nothing else.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Ah, ok, thanks. I need a third event to do, and I really would like a semi-overlap.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Well, I'll say that the event certainly won't completely overlap with any other events. It kind of is in a league of its own. But just to add, I'd say earth science or physics-like events, like circuits, geomaps, dyplan, TPS, study portion of maglev, maybe parts of matsci, remote, thermo, rocks, you may liken with it. Not necessarily for the exact overlap in the aspect of concepts or format, but the general aspect that it is studying physical processes that are quite interesting. Fermi is the other event which also has the overlap of very large or small numbers.

In general, it is always best to just take a look at all the events, and see which ones interest you. Sometimes you may like astronomy, but you find that another unrelated event you like. I know Alpha has done Forensics, and I've done Microbes, so it's up to you.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Remote varies greatly from test to test, but there is often a great deal of Astronomy on it - EM spectrum stuff, satellites etc. Not stellar evolution, but still Astronomy.
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Why is there a slash between the Rho Ophiuchi Cloud Complex and Antares if they are two different objects?

And what is the Antares Region and where is it located in Scorpius?

Return to “2013 Study Events”