Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy B/C

Post by mnstrviola »

LCovington wrote:Am I the only one that actually LIKES the Digestive system, or is that crazy?
Sure beats excretory system :lol:
chia
State: IL

Post by chia »

Skink wrote:
LCovington wrote:Am I the only one that actually LIKES the Digestive system, or is that crazy?
I dunno. Personally, I stomach it...
/rimshot

Though that is sort of a silly question if you think about it that way... then again, I have a friend who once said she dislikes her autonomous nervous system simply because she's not in control of it. I know what you mean, though - I don't mind studying it, but my favorite system to learn about was the skeletal.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
EAtBaNAna
Division: B
State: NY

Post by EAtBaNAna »

Maybe I'm the only one who likes the endocrine system.
Moving on to NY states :D

Heredity: 3rd
Triple E: 2nd

Go Yonkers!
Project_X
State: CA

Post by Project_X »

Why is it that on the 2012 sample test there is stuff about hormones relating to the digestive system while on the requirements this year, there is nothing about them?

Are the requirements different for every year even if the system is the saem?
butter side up
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

Project_X wrote:Why is it that on the 2012 sample test there is stuff about hormones relating to the digestive system while on the requirements this year, there is nothing about them?

Are the requirements different for every year even if the system is the saem?
The requirements, while they may undergo slight changes, are essentially the same, and I would still at least review the digestive hormones, as that is the biggest part of digestive system physiology. Also, the sample tests are more closely akin to what a test may look like. Most of the time you can expect to see tests that go a little more in-depth than that which is described in the rules, for any event.
I don't have a copy of the rules in front of me, but I also suspect that more detail is put into the new system, nervous, than to repeating the digestive information.
Even though they may not be explicitly stated, I would still expect to see questions about digestive hormones and other topics that showed up last year for digestive/excretory.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
gesturallyimprobable

Post by gesturallyimprobable »

Sorry, but I'm not exactly sure what we need to know about cancers of the digestive system. I've been looking through the Test Exchange, and I don't really see all that many questions regarding cancer.
strawberrygirl
Division: C
State: TX

Post by strawberrygirl »

gesturallyimprobable wrote:Sorry, but I'm not exactly sure what we need to know about cancers of the digestive system. I've been looking through the Test Exchange, and I don't really see all that many questions regarding cancer.
From my experience so far, tests usually don't go into too much detail about cancers. However, it would probably be a good idea to just know the basics of the most common ones.
ajohn

Post by ajohn »

fanjiatian wrote:Does anyone have recommendations for textbooks or other resources?

I've heard that Gray's Anatomy is great.
Gray's Anatomy is pretty good but it goes to much unecessary detail not needed for the event. I reccomend a college medical textbook.
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Patton/Thibodeau is the best textbook out there for this event. Not too in detail and worded very nicely.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
MrX
State: MD

Post by MrX »

ajohn wrote:
fanjiatian wrote:Does anyone have recommendations for textbooks or other resources?

I've heard that Gray's Anatomy is great.
Gray's Anatomy is pretty good but it goes to much unecessary detail not needed for the event. I reccomend a college medical textbook.
Guyton and Hall physiology would be more than enough for dealing with the physiology section. For Anatomy, be sure to check out Netter's Atlas of Anatomy and get or make flash cards. Despopoulos physiology is highly recommended for its small pocket book size and 1 page words 1 page of illustration layout.
Walter Johnson HS '12

Return to “2013 Study Events”