Forensics C

ThePrudentGuava
Division: C
State: OK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by ThePrudentGuava »

Cedavis6 wrote:Pardon my double posting, but what needs help on the Wiki for Forensics?
I would say entomology, fingerprint analysis, pollen, tracks (not sure if that means tire or...?), and bullet striations. They don't need a lot of information, just basic stuff, because from what I have read they aren't very prominent in tests and such.
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders
Cedavis6
Division: Grad

Post by Cedavis6 »

Ok. I actually want to work on the qualitative analysis a little more, make it a chart instead of paragraphs. I can do this, don't worry, but yeah. I couldn't finish that in time yesterday, I'm sorry.
I apologize that my Wiki thing failed...
ThePrudentGuava
State: OK

Post by ThePrudentGuava »

Cedavis6 wrote:Ok. I actually want to work on the qualitative analysis a little more, make it a chart instead of paragraphs. I can do this, don't worry, but yeah. I couldn't finish that in time yesterday, I'm sorry.
I apologize that my Wiki thing failed...
sorry is not good enough! You must face the ramifications of your action via indentured servitude.

(jk)
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

ThePrudentGuava wrote:
Cedavis6 wrote:Pardon my double posting, but what needs help on the Wiki for Forensics?
I would say entomology, fingerprint analysis, pollen, tracks (not sure if that means tire or...?), and bullet striations. They don't need a lot of information, just basic stuff, because from what I have read they aren't very prominent in tests and such.
I don't really think that tracks (whether tire or foot) and bullet striations really require notes because they're mostly matching.

Seeds and pollen very rarely pop up, but that does not necessarily mean that you shouldn't look over it.

Entomology is also very rare, but you might want to learn it just in case it pops up because it's slightly more complicated than the rest of the rare topics.

here's a good resource for entomology: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca ... QSrZIeJT0A

Fingerprints ... well ... you should probably get a picture of all eight patterns that you may see in competition. Like this one: Image

You probably also want to know the principles behind fingerprint formation, the four methods of developing latent prints, fingerprint statistics ("About what percent of the population has ______ fingerprints?"), the types of prints (v,i,l), and also how to distinguish which method to use for specific scenarios ("What method of lifting would be best for developing this fingerprint?"). soinc.org also has some useful information, and old or practice crime scenes have some as well. That's a basic summary for fingerprints.
Last edited by pikachu4919 on December 31st, 2012, 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

Double posting is posting twice in a row.
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

Thank you for clarifying that.
Carmel HS (IN) '16

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
sciolyynerdd
State: NY

Post by sciolyynerdd »

Hi,
Regarding the types of fingerprints: you meant arch, loop, and whorl right? Thanks!
Also, are there any good links for fingerprints?
pikachu4919 wrote:
ThePrudentGuava wrote:
I don't really think that tracks (whether tire or foot) and bullet striations really require notes because they're mostly matching.

Seeds and pollen very rarely pop up, but that does not necessarily mean that you shouldn't look over it.

Entomology is also very rare, but you might want to learn it just in case it pops up because it's slightly more complicated than the rest of the rare topics.

here's a good resource for entomology: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca ... QSrZIeJT0A

Fingerprints ... well ... you should probably get a picture of all eight patterns that you may see in competition. Like this one: Image

You probably also want to know the principles behind fingerprint formation, the four methods of developing latent prints, fingerprint statistics ("About what percent of the population has ______ fingerprints?"), the types of prints (v,i,l), and also how to distinguish which method to use for specific scenarios ("What method of lifting would be best for developing this fingerprint?"). soinc.org also has some useful information, and old or practice crime scenes have some as well. That's a basic summary for fingerprints.
Scioly FTW! :D
-Forensics 2012 6th place
sciolyynerdd
State: NY

Post by sciolyynerdd »

Sorry for double posting >_<
but for DNA,
are there any good sites?

I am kind of confused as to what we have to o_o
Scioly FTW! :D
-Forensics 2012 6th place
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

sciolyynerdd wrote:Hi,
Regarding the types of fingerprints: you meant arch, loop, and whorl right? Thanks!
Also, are there any good links for fingerprints?
Eh ... I couldn't get all the quotes because we're only allowed to emb three quotes max, but anyway ...

The types I meant in my original post were visible, impression, and latent (hence the v,i,l).

These are good links for fingerprints/fingerprint development:
http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... nting2.pdf
http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... gluing.pdf <-- specially for the cyanoacrylate method, but it also contains useful information :D
http://mypage.iu.edu/~lwoz/socrime/Fingerprint.htm
sciolyynerdd wrote:Sorry for double posting >_<
but for DNA,
are there any good sites?

I am kind of confused as to what we have to o_o
http://mypage.iu.edu/~lwoz/socrime/dnaanal.htm
This link has information about DNA principles, which are also pretty important to competition, as usually one or two questions about DNA physiology pop up in the analysis. Most biology textbooks have much information about DNA.
As for what you have to do with DNA in competition, you are given a chromatogram (what it looks like varies by competition), and you have to try to match the one that was found at the scene to one of the suspects (or sometimes the DNA doesn't even match).
Carmel HS (IN) '16

MY CABBAGES!
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

Pardon my double posting >.<, but does anyone have tips on how to counter problems with time management during competition?
Carmel HS (IN) '16

MY CABBAGES!

Return to “2013 Lab Events”