Astronomy C

Orange714
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by Orange714 »

I see with the information...but yes they may be different pictures but they seem to be all take in the same wavelength or the same type of composite? (Do I make any sense, I could be completely mistaken but it seems like they're all the same reddish orange color photo) Searching on google images and I only see maybe 3 or 4 different pictures of NGC 3582 and the rest are duplicates....or should I not search on google images

Sorry I'm pretty new to the event XD Thanks for the help in advance!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Keep in mind that for some of these images, there are only so many images that exist. Some of them are very far away and have only been captured by a few telescopes. So while some DSO's will have a lot of variety in terms of images and wavelength, others won't have as much. You might be able to find more variety here and there if you look at several pages of Google Images or different websites, but usually you'll find the major images on tests since most test writers aren't going to choose really obscure images.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Orange714

Post by Orange714 »

Oh that's true XD Thanks for the help though!
Orange714

Post by Orange714 »

Do you need to know the light curves of the different DSOs? If you do, do you just google? For most of them I found some pretty good websites but for a couple I couldn't find any and the ones I did find were kinda sketchy...
Also, could Astro maybe have a Question Marathon??? I don't know it's just suggestion....
Thanks!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Orange714 wrote:Do you need to know the light curves of the different DSOs? If you do, do you just google? For most of them I found some pretty good websites but for a couple I couldn't find any and the ones I did find were kinda sketchy...
Also, could Astro maybe have a Question Marathon??? I don't know it's just suggestion....
Thanks!
I think you'll definitely need to know the light curve of certain DSOs like Delta Cephei. But things like nebulae you wouldn't have to, though, maybe there could be some other graph for it (there's always more to astro!). I just generally use google, the only times I don't is when I get my hands on random books or articles, but that's unrelated.
As for the question marathon, could a mod perhaps answer that? I think you may have to PM one anyway. That does bring up an interesting idea actually, making a question marathon for every event.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
fourLoko
State: WA

Post by fourLoko »

As we start getting back from invitationals, maybe we could post the tests on the test exchange?
Camas/Regionals/State
Astronomy (4/2/2)
Fermi (1/2/6)
Tech Problem Solving (1/3/4)
Circuits (2/4/1)
Experimental (7/1/2)
MagLev(-/2/8)
Orange714

Post by Orange714 »

I have the test from northmont and northview...who do I contact though?
SilverNight
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by SilverNight »

Orange714 wrote:I have the test from northmont and northview...who do I contact though?
Just upload the test here: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Upload
And I (or someone) can add a link to it in the test exchange.

EDIT: Thanks! I added the test you uploaded to the Test Exchange.
astroblue
State: WA

Post by astroblue »

Could someone help explain the small-angle problem on the Northview Invitational? (The one with V838 Mon)
I don't really understand how they're getting a time of 2.8E7 seconds to calculate the distance...
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

So, the outburst began on Jan 6 and the image was taken on Dec 17 of the same year. They're approximating a bit and saying it took 11/12 of a year (though it's really a little more than that) for the light to travel that far outwards. So for a rough estimate, I know there are around 525,600 * 60 seconds in a year, multiply by 11/12 to get 2.89E7 seconds, which is pretty close to what they have.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Return to “2013 Study Events”