Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pictures

Post by UQOnyx »

Hey everyone! I have been researching and going through the threads in the scioly forums and most of the links do not work anymore. If possible can someone tell me where to find the new links or post pictures that they have (preferably the high medalling structures)
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas..
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Pictures

Post by havenguy »

Here is a link to the site where (I believe) robotman got most of his pictures from:

http://nickfastswim.awardspace.com/boomilever.htm
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Part of the reason the links don't work is that the Image Gallery is currently down for maintenance. We hope to have it back soon.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UQOnyx »

YEah, but either way I don't think I have seen the '07 or '08 winners from Nationals or maybe I have but they weren't labelled haha. If anyone has them from going to the contests or just lying around somewhere (lol I don't know why XD) I would really appreciate if they posted them. Also I think there is a link for boomilever specs for 2007 in the wiki but either it is the wrong or dead link because there is nothing on the website it is redirected to.
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

UQOnyx wrote:YEah, but either way I don't think I have seen the '07 or '08 winners from Nationals or maybe I have but they weren't labelled haha. If anyone has them from going to the contests or just lying around somewhere (lol I don't know why XD) I would really appreciate if they posted them. Also I think there is a link for boomilever specs for 2007 in the wiki but either it is the wrong or dead link because there is nothing on the website it is redirected to.
Very unlikely that's gonna happen (pics)
Specs- as previously discussed, '07 was C- only. same dimensions as C- this year; only difference was a limit of 1/4" on the cross-sectional dimension of any individual piece of wood. A significant constraint on compression member possibilities; no tubes, no boxes w/walls > 1/4 (unless from 2 pieces edge-laminated), no rectangular solid w/ a dimension >1/4 (unless done w/ 2 laminated together)
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UQOnyx »

I may be wrong but I have heard that one of the Nats (I think First) placing booms was very unique in the sense that it had only one tension cord among other things. If I see what the highly successful designs were, I could probably get an idea of what to do.
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach

Post by Balsa Man »

UQOnyx wrote:I may be wrong but I have heard that one of the Nats (I think First) placing booms was very unique in the sense that it had only one tension cord among other things. If I see what the highly successful designs were, I could probably get an idea of what to do.
Yup, you probably could.
There was discussion about this back in October. It was noted the winner was well ahead of 2nd place. I asked if anyone could confirm the basic configuration. There was no response. That doesn't surprise me. Think about it. If you had a design that could/had won Nats by a couple of grams, why would you help/tell the competition how have a chance at beating you????

It's one thing to talk in detail about how to design/build a good "competitive" structure- something with a good shot of winning State- a Nats winner is a very different situation. That's why I said, I don't expect any pics to appear.

That said, as I said back in October, we're running a single tension member. With wall attachment, its.... <3.5gr. It's been tested to 125% of design load. We stopped loading at that point. We'll run that conservative weight at Regionals, and find out how much can come off for State.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
yoliu

Post by yoliu »

[quote="Balsa
That said, as I said back in October, we're running a single tension member. With wall attachment, its.... <3.5gr. It's been tested to 125% of design load. We stopped loading at that point. We'll run that conservative weight at Regionals, and find out how much can come off for State.[/quote]
Wow! The whole boomilever is less than 3.5g? That is just wow !
Or you meant the tension member plus attachment base weighs less than 3.5g?
Thanks
Aia
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: WA

Post by Aia »

I have a number of photos in different slideshows on youtube under the username "BalsaBridgeBuilder". In particular, this video of mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MNP65dNH4

has several pictures of National medaling structures from the last time boomilever was an event. I won't identify which ones they are, but all the structures are good food for thought as you're designing. Good luck!

Edit: There are also a few pictures in the image gallery that are pretty similar to the winning National boom in '08. I know the gallery is down for the time being, but hopefully it'll be back soon.
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach

Post by Balsa Man »

yoliu wrote:[quote="Balsa
That said, as I said back in October, we're running a single tension member. With wall attachment, its.... <3.5gr. It's been tested to 125% of design load. We stopped loading at that point. We'll run that conservative weight at Regionals, and find out how much can come off for State.
Wow! The whole boomilever is less than 3.5g? That is just wow !
Or you meant the tension member plus attachment base weighs less than 3.5g?
Thanks[/quote]

Sorry 'bout any confusion - the tension member, with wall attachment, is <3.5gr. :lol:
Getting the whole thing to <3.5gr would take some very select pieces from an old-growth unobtanium tree.....
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

Return to “Boomilever B/C”