Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Final Task

Post by riceman »

chalker wrote:
riceman wrote:
chalker wrote:
Standard Dominoes - About 1-7/8" long by 15/16" wide by 1/4" thick
The 'standard sized' are too long. That leaves only the mini size as legal. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The rules call for 4.5 cm x 2.5 cm x 0.8 cm. about 1 7/8" x 2.54 cm / inch = 4.76 cm (i.e. technically 2.6 mm too big), but the key is the 'about' part. If you are really concerned about it, sand down both ends about a mm. If this is a major issue, feel free to submit a clarification on soinc.org and we might bump up the dimension a little bit. We intended for 'standard' dominoes to be utilized.
Yes that was my main concern. The rule specifically states "less than 4.5 cm". My interpretation is that 4.76 would be illegal. I indeed submitted a clarification question asking if commercial dominoes could be altered in order to comply with the size limits. Thanks for your reply.
hogger

Post by hogger »

Here's my take. According to the rule, the dominoes pieces are optional, so if you can get the 9V battery to stay on the platform, then I think you should be able to get 200 points even if some of the dominoes drop off the platform. Not sure if that is the right interpretation, maybe we need to ask for clarification.
Last edited by hogger on January 28th, 2013, 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Platinum
Division: B
State: CA

Post by Platinum »

Thanks all
ramcoach
State: MI

Post by ramcoach »

It does say in 4.m "All 4 of the following conditions must be met..." and in condition 3 it states "All items used must stay in contact with the top of the platform but after the start the item(s) may touch each other or fall over (not off the platform). "

That seems to suggest that if you include dominoes and they fall off, you haven't satisfied the 4 conditions and thus you haven't completed the final task.

To be on the safe side, I'd make sure that if you plan on including dominoes, they stay on the platform the entire time. And you might need to ask yourself if it's worth the extra points (2 per standing domino) to take a risk that they'll fall off and lose you 200 points.
hogger

Post by hogger »

Thanks ramcoach. I think the wording in 4.m makes it very clear. All the pieces you start with must survive until platform stops at the top. You are required to at least have the 9V battery to start with, and if you are not sure you could keep everything to stay until the end, you are better off leaving them out.
riceman

Post by riceman »

Someone stated in the other Final Task thread that you may be better off leaving the dominoes out. I'm beginning to agree. This is becoming the hardest twenty points of the device. Not because of the mechanics of it but just trying to comply with the rules dimensions. Here is what I found today. I went to the following stores today to try and find some "standard dominoes":
WalMart
Target
CVS Pharmacy
Michaels
Big Lots
99 cent Store
Alberston's Grocery

Of those listed only the first three carried dominoes. All three carried the same brand. About $4.00 for a tin of 28 dominoes. Here is how they measure out.

Less than .8cm along this width which is legal

2.57cm along this width NOT legal

About 5.2cm long - way OVER legal limit

The dominoes are made of a hard plastic. It almost feels like ceramic. Fortunately it can be sanded on a disc sander down to the specified limits. This is what it looks like after "trimming"

Have fun with that kids!
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

lol yep....haha

Although on I'm not on this event anymore, I know that the team is considering leaving out the dominoes. Unless you're really trying to squeeze in as many points as possible at Nationals or something, they were observing it probably wasn't worth the points.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
hogger

Post by hogger »

I just got the mini dominoes set from amazon today. The pieces are really small and thin and VERY easy to knock over. I don't see how it could stay upright on our device. So you don't get the 2 points if it falls over, and you risk losing 200 points if somehow any of the pieces fall off the platform. Yes, it seems like leaving it out is the way to go. 20 points are unlikely to be a big factor and if you manage to get everything right but the 200 points are going to kill you if something goes wrong.

BTW, that is a really cool measuring ruler.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

hogger wrote: BTW, that is a really cool measuring ruler.
They are called calipers (or in this case digital calipers): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliper#Digital_caliper

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Jkwashbourne

flat, smooth, solid plane

Post by Jkwashbourne »

the platform for the final task must be a "flat, smooth, solid plane with no raised edges". I am wondering if consensus is that flat head screws down from the top of the platform and flush with the platform would be considered acceptable. Or possibly we should fill in with some putty. I guess after what we spent on the rest of the materials a jar of wood putty is insignificant ...

This is out first year and we don't know how down to the letter the judges go. TIA.

Return to “Mission Possible B”