_HenryHscioly_
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider C

Post by _HenryHscioly_ »

I'm using a loop attached to a dowel.
The rubber came in the kit; two thickness. The thinner one, the one I used, seems like it is 1/16" x 3/64". Its in a 14" loop.
at 1foot of stretch, its about 1.18N. (120grams)
The hook is balsa perpendicular to the fuselage, extending 5/32" down, 1/8" wide. If I make it shorter, I would have to make it taller, in order to fit the lip-balm cap rule. Should I make it smaller?

2/9/13:
has any tried to make a full paper glider...?
The world record is 30seconds.. saw a team today who had a paper airplane, so was wondering about it. I would still believe a balsa glider has way more potential. But it would be interestng to see a paper airplane win some competitions!
_HenryHscioly_
State: CA

Post by _HenryHscioly_ »

doesnt foam dissolve in acetone??
The freedom flight model calls for model cement on the joint between foam flap and balsa wing.
I kinda see the foam is not straight, but I dont know if it's because I didnt cut it straight, or the acetone in the glue melted away some of the foam....
Super glue also wont work on foam...
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

I'd expect solvent based glues like balsa cement to attack many foams, don't know about what's in that kit.

There are foam safe CA glues available. The Odorless type (moderately pricey, but better if you've developed a sensitivity to CA like I have) is safe with foam.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
torqueburner
State: PA

Post by torqueburner »

jander14indoor wrote:I'd expect solvent based glues like balsa cement to attack many foams, don't know about what's in that kit.

There are foam safe CA glues available. The Odorless type (moderately pricey, but better if you've developed a sensitivity to CA like I have) is safe with foam.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

We used thinned (50%) Ambroid cement with no problems.
Orange714

Post by Orange714 »

We used thinned (50%) Ambroid cement with no problems.
I'm interested in diluting Duco, is there a specific way to go about it? Do it by mass or volume? Do you put it in a air-tight bottle so you can use it many times? Also do you use the double glued joint method?

Sorry for so asking so many questions XD Thanks in advance :)
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

I thin with acetone or dope thinner, 50-50 by volume, proportions not real critical. add a drop or two of plasticizer to reduce shrinking.
I have some needle nose bottles that are mostly air-tight to store the glue in between uses. Acetone goes through most anything though so if it sits a long time (between seasons say) you occasionally have to add more acetone.
I always double glue joints when using solvent based glues.

Here's a source for plasticizer and the bottles with needle caps I use.
http://www.a2zcorp.us/store/category.as ... zer%20Dope

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

I've seen plans where wash in is sanded into the wing tips. I also came across a plan that uses a "wash in wedge", a small piece of 1/32 balsa about 3mmx7mm placed right next to the dihedral break on one side of the aircraft (there are two dihedral points). Where exactly is this supposed to be glued, and exactly what purpose does it serve?
In full color since 2006
Orange714

Post by Orange714 »

Here's a source for plasticizer and the bottles with needle caps I use.
http://www.a2zcorp.us/store/category.asp?Cguid= {526615DE-B8FD-4764-8C7B-846E1F0F8CE3}&Category=BuildingMaterials:Glue%20Plasticizer%20Dope
I don't think your link works but I think I found the right item anyways is it this? http://www.a2zcorp.us/store/ProductDeta ... zer%20Dope
and
http://www.a2zcorp.us/store/ProductDeta ... zer%20Dope

Do you know where they might sell this like locally? I don't really want to pay for shipping that costs more than the actual product... ><
If not, do you know what I could use so the diluted duco doesn't dry in like a couple minutes. Like make it once and then put it something that slows down the drying so I could use it for a couple of hours?
Thanks!
schen
State: IL

Post by schen »

I leave it in the applicator, and it never dries.
nTvarify
State: NJ

Post by nTvarify »

Has anyone bought a freedom flight model? I haven't seen any pictures of one completed except for the one on the freedom flight website. Also does anyone have a picture of the launching device that comes from the freedom flight kits?

Return to “2013 Build Events”