Elastic Launched Glider C

fanjiatian
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider C

Post by fanjiatian » February 16th, 2013, 7:31 am

nTvarify wrote:Has anyone bought a freedom flight model? I haven't seen any pictures of one completed except for the one on the freedom flight website. Also does anyone have a picture of the launching device that comes from the freedom flight kits?
It's just a regular dowel with a slit on the top. A knot is tied onto one end of the rubber loop and you slip the loop into the slit.
The glider design is pretty complicated. Not to mention that the fuselage is only 1/16 inch wide :O

314chocolate
State: WI

Post by 314chocolate » February 17th, 2013, 12:27 pm

What are everyone's best times? At our regional there were a few 10 sec flights, but a lot of them were 4 seconds or less. At least the ones I saw.

wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy » February 17th, 2013, 5:43 pm

and don't forget, if you post times, ceiling height is important so include it to get a good comparison (once you get over 10 seconds or so).

_HenryHscioly_
Division: C
State: CA

Post by _HenryHscioly_ » February 18th, 2013, 1:39 am

19seconds, school gym, 30feet?
What am I missing to get >46seconds/flight............. http://freeflight.org/indoor/results/tt ... esults.pdf
I tilt almost 90degress to the right, 85degrees from horizontal.
1.8grams
I can reach about 10feet from the ceiling.
When it transitions, it is about 80degrees right banked, kinda slides down, and begins gliding. During this phase, it lose 5-10feet of altitude. If I bank it less(45-80degrees) when I launch, it stalls at the top and dives, especially when I pull hard on the rubber.

hm...gosh...darn. I Just measured, my wingspan is 30.6cm.....I'll have to trim that down..and re-trim the glider.

wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy » February 18th, 2013, 5:13 am

_HenryHscioly_ wrote:19seconds, school gym, 30feet?
What am I missing to get >46seconds/flight............. http://freeflight.org/indoor/results/tt ... esults.pdf
I tilt almost 90degress to the right, 85degrees from horizontal.
1.8grams
I can reach about 10feet from the ceiling.
When it transitions, it is about 80degrees right banked, kinda slides down, and begins gliding. During this phase, it lose 5-10feet of altitude. If I bank it less(45-80degrees) when I launch, it stalls at the top and dives, especially when I pull hard on the rubber.

hm...gosh...darn. I Just measured, my wingspan is 30.6cm.....I'll have to trim that down..and re-trim the glider.
19 seconds in a school gym (25~30') is really pretty good. It would beat most of the flights I have seen this year.
Your goal of >46 seconds will be VERY difficult. It was done by Bill Gowen, current National Record holder.
This is not his first year of doing gliders so he has had time to perfect everything about his building and launch.

chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 » February 18th, 2013, 6:47 am

wlsguy wrote: 19 seconds in a school gym (25~30') is really pretty good. It would beat most of the flights I have seen this year.
Your goal of >46 seconds will be VERY difficult. It was done by Bill Gowen, current National Record holder.
This is not his first year of doing gliders so he has had time to perfect everything about his building and launch.
And by time, we mean decades of experience. It definitely isn't fair to compare yourself to the flat-out national record (which is probably close to, if not the actual, world record, it's impossible to say since there isn't a perfect analog of this event being tracked at the global level.)
19 seconds in a high school gym is very good.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director

baker
State: NY

Post by baker » February 19th, 2013, 6:11 pm

We're still struggling with Freedom Flights gliders. We get around 9 sec mostly 8 sec flights. Still losing to much height at transistion to glide. Standard gym.

sciencegreek
State: NY

Post by sciencegreek » February 21st, 2013, 5:37 pm

Has anyone been able to crack 20 seconds per flight??

gliders123
State: IL

Post by gliders123 » February 21st, 2013, 6:53 pm

sciencegreek wrote:Has anyone been able to crack 20 seconds per flight??

fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian » February 23rd, 2013, 8:53 am

From previous tournament experience, have people been allowed to test their gliders before check in?

The 6 minute time period for both trim and unofficial flights seems really short, so I was wondering if test flights can be made beforehand.

Return to “2013 Build Events”