Robot Arm C

olympiaddict
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm C

Post by olympiaddict »

Since the rules say you must submit your docs at check-in or as announced by the ES, that might include leaving your iPad with the ES, who I'm sure would try to keep it safe, but might have other duties to perform that would prevent them keeping it in sight at all times. So that's a choice you'd have to make.

I would still use the paper docs, to me it's one of those "do I really want to get tiered for this" things, but if you really wanted to show the 3D model, you could print 2D views of it but also note on the hard copy that you have a 3D model the ES can see when you arrive to compete. That is what I will most likely do with my software model.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

As usual, not offcial, not the place for clarifications, etc...

Nothing I read in the rules forces your technical documentation to be hard copy on paper, but that sort of depends on what definition of 'document' you use. To old foggies like me it tends to imply a hard copy piece of paper. In fact that's the way you'll find some definitions worded. Of course in more modern usage, I recognize documents can also be electronic.

Safe, print it out. Likely safe, and certainly arguable if you have reputable definitions on hand, electronic form.

And olympiaddict is right, while I might be willing to try to watch your i-pad, no promises.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Ron_Swanson
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by Ron_Swanson »

I'll be running this event at a regional competition this week and I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone on here who has run this event this year. What have people been using to measure the ping pong ball height? I have a metric tape measure that goes up to 8 meters. I can't imagine that anyone would be able to get the ball that high but sometimes these kids surprise me. What's the highest anyone has seen so far?
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

Ron_Swanson wrote:I'll be running this event at a regional competition this week and I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone on here who has run this event this year. What have people been using to measure the ping pong ball height? I have a metric tape measure that goes up to 8 meters. I can't imagine that anyone would be able to get the ball that high but sometimes these kids surprise me. What's the highest anyone has seen so far?
That should be fine, 8 meters is a more than enough (and if its in a normal room, the ceiling isnt that high), but if for whatever reason their arm can get to some extreme height, I would think they would give you a measuring method so that the ES can get a good measurement, aka attach a cloth measuring tape to the device etc.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
ohiostar
State: OH

Post by ohiostar »

One interpretation of scoring the final ping pong ball has been to award one point for being in the north zone, that is if it was in fact raised and held above the north zone. The ping pong ball would earn one point plus the .02 points per cm.

Scoring this way has been inconsistent, it was allowed at Wright State, Athens PA, Solon, OH, and other invitationals. At earlier invitationals it was not considered. (at least that was my obversation)
olympiaddict

Post by olympiaddict »

Would you say that wires that are carrying current from a battery to a motor are "powered" by that battery? Should I write that in my tech docs, or N/A?
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

ohiostar wrote:One interpretation of scoring the final ping pong ball has been to award one point for being in the north zone, that is if it was in fact raised and held above the north zone. The ping pong ball would earn one point plus the .02 points per cm.

Scoring this way has been inconsistent, it was allowed at Wright State, Athens PA, Solon, OH, and other invitationals. At earlier invitationals it was not considered. (at least that was my obversation)
That seems very, very wrong to me, but I would be interested as to what some of the people closer to the center of things would say.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

I submitted a clarifaction eariler in the year, the official answer is it counts for both the 1 point and the height points.

This is the official responce I got from the clarification when I asked if you get both the 1 point for above the northern zone and the height point:

"Yes, the one point would be awarded if the ball is suspended above the
northern zone. Note though, as the height increases, determining location may
be a challenge for the event supervisor"
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

olympiaddict wrote:Would you say that wires that are carrying current from a battery to a motor are "powered" by that battery? Should I write that in my tech docs, or N/A?
It shouldn't be needed. The wires are not consuming energy from the battery, ignoring the inevitable heat and electromagnetism created by the current, so they are not really 'powered'.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

As usual, this isn't the place for clarifications, etc...
mrsteven wrote:I submitted a clarifaction eariler in the year, the official answer is it counts for both the 1 point and the height points.

This is the official responce I got from the clarification when I asked if you get both the 1 point for above the northern zone and the height point:

"Yes, the one point would be awarded if the ball is suspended above the
northern zone. Note though, as the height increases, determining location may
be a challenge for the event supervisor"
Dang, I thought that was posted on soinc.org too. OK, not official, I'll just point out. Would you score a nail say in the north zone different if it were on the ground, or in the device gripper over the zone. Nothing about the definition of the north zone says it must be on the surface. So why NOT the ping pong ball? Again, not official, but seems to be clearly compliant with the rules.

Oh, the ES at the Wright State Invitational was the National Event Supervisor. Others just may not have thought it through.
Ron_Swanson wrote:I'll be running this event at a regional competition this week and I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone on here who has run this event this year. What have people been using to measure the ping pong ball height? I have a metric tape measure that goes up to 8 meters. I can't imagine that anyone would be able to get the ball that high but sometimes these kids surprise me. What's the highest anyone has seen so far?
I haven't seen anything impressive yet, about a meter or so, but I fully expect crazy high numbers by nationals. Too many points on the table not to try and personally I don't think its that hard.

As to how to measure, I'll quote from the rule, para 7.d, "The lowest point of the ball must be visible from the ground; measurement will be taken from this point." emphasize the word 'visible', and point to this device http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DLR130K-Dig ... ce+measure that a certain ES and rule writer might have been looking for an excuse to own...
Certainly not the only way to skin the cat, and as others have said, if it gets to the ceiling in your location, your tape measure is good enough.
Alternatively, you could use a collapsing poll, premeasured.
I would NOT depend on the students providing you a method, how would you calibrate it?

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “2013 Build Events”