Experimental Design B/C

magicalforest
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by magicalforest »

Thanks nejanimb for your explanation! I should like to personally exalt you. So just to confirm, the data analysis analyzes data statistically, while the conclusion only analyzes the data that will connect back to whether the hypothesis was supported?
caseyotis
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

Hello everyone!
I just got put into this event earlier today. My regionals are on Saturday. Yeah, I know.
Anyways, can someone give me an extremely brief summary on what the heck is going on, what I should know, and tips on how to communicate my results? Thanks!

~Casey :3
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
fozendog
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

caseyotis wrote:Hello everyone!
I just got put into this event earlier today. My regionals are on Saturday. Yeah, I know.
Anyways, can someone give me an extremely brief summary on what the heck is going on, what I should know, and tips on how to communicate my results? Thanks!

Make sure to talk to your two other partners and plan out who is doing what on the rubric.
A good idea is to have a "doer" a "writer" and a helper that aids the "doer" during the experiment. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the rubric. Next have your coach (or get them yourself) provide you with some materials that you can do an easy enough experiment. Do the experiment with your teammates and have the rubric with you and run through the experiment with the rubric and just make sure you can do everything and do it well. After you finish give it to your coach to correct with the rubric or you can correct I
Yourself. Review what you got wrong and do another experiment with (or without) the rubric and see of
You can do I within the 50 min. Time limit. Repeat again on another experiment if you want more practice.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

fozendog wrote:
caseyotis wrote:Hello everyone!

Make sure to talk to your two other partners and plan out who is doing what on the rubric.
A good idea is to have a "doer" a "writer" and a helper that aids the "doer" during the experiment. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the rubric. Next have your coach (or get them yourself) provide you with some materials that you can do an easy enough experiment. Do the experiment with your teammates and have the rubric with you and run through the experiment with the rubric and just make sure you can do everything and do it well. After you finish give it to your coach to correct with the rubric or you can correct I
Yourself. Review what you got wrong and do another experiment with (or without) the rubric and see of
You can do I within the 50 min. Time limit. Repeat again on another experiment if you want more practice.
I don't think I'll have time for that; I don't see one of my teammates until the day of the event, which is in three days. I thought I'd just look at some examples and be given a summary of what to do before I wing it. xD Thanks!
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
Shad160

Post by Shad160 »

If you're not going to have time to practice, at least figure out how you guys are going to split up the rubric beforehand! That way you waste no time getting to work at the competition
What happens on Alpha Lyrae, stays on Alpha Lyrae.
siciscio

Post by siciscio »

Has anyone on your team done the event before? If you have time talk to them, see if they have any "example events" to show you. Those can be really helpful. I think if you look around on the National site you might be able to find some. Start getting in to the habit of looking at random objects and thinking of what experiments you could perform. It might take some time, but with experience it could get easier. I've seen some teams that take half the time just figuring out how to do the experiment.
WindPower, Bridges.
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

Shad160 wrote:If you're not going to have time to practice, at least figure out how you guys are going to split up the rubric beforehand! That way you waste no time getting to work at the competition
Okay, I'll try.
siciscio wrote:Has anyone on your team done the event before? If you have time talk to them, see if they have any "example events" to show you. Those can be really helpful. I think if you look around on the National site you might be able to find some. Start getting in to the habit of looking at random objects and thinking of what experiments you could perform. It might take some time, but with experience it could get easier. I've seen some teams that take half the time just figuring out how to do the experiment.
Yes, the ninth grader that's on our team is doing it with us, and did it last year. I'm going to try to find some. I don't have time for experience, but if I look at some samples, I may be able to get the gist. It's never been my strong point, but I just don't trust most of the rest of my team with the event, which is why I wanted to do it.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
siciscio

Post by siciscio »

Alright. :D Here are some things to look at just to get you started. 1,2,
WindPower, Bridges.
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

siciscio wrote:Alright. :D Here are some things to look at just to get you started. 1,2,
Thanks! I'll look at these tomorrow; I have to go to sleep now.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
tangentline
State: CA

Post by tangentline »

siciscio wrote:Alright. :D Here are some things to look at just to get you started. 1,2,
Oh my goodness, this is beauty... Coming up just with the problem is pretty difficult...

Return to “2013 Lab Events”