New York 2013

baker
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New York 2013

Post by baker »

JTMess wrote:Does anyone know if the New York coordinators will be posting the results from the top 5 in every tech event again this year? We found it very helpful last year!
I'd like to see the top scores for ELG. I saw some great times flown. One team (most likely 1st place) had consistant flight times of 24 to 26 seconds. Their glider was just floating in air (FF design I think). If any of the top teams were to post their times it would be great.. thanks..
silverheart7
Division: Grad

Post by silverheart7 »

I don't know about anyone else, but I found the results surprising. I expected WM (love you guys!) and FM to go to nationals, but a lot of scores shifted around this year. For all we know, Syosset or Hills East could have beaten out one of the two and stolen a spot.

I'm nervous for Regionals (which is sort of silly), but terrified of states. I feel as if all of the New York teams are getting better and better each year, and I think this will be an interesting season.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Well, this was somewhat annoying...we had really big issues. We can't understand what happened with some of our study events, and I personally think Geomaps must've been so close somehow they probably did some REALLY harsh grading. For gliders we also had one get stuck in the ceiling that wasn't too bad, boomi had some problems in set up or was made quick or something. Took home a 3rd in astro/rocks at least, but this was...oh well.

But of course, we'll still be trying just as hard. I think NYS will from now on just be really really shaky in ranks, it's getting really close between the top teams now. But for certain events we really feel like either there was some problem or rushing grading them, or they graded things really harshly. Also, for those who didn't know they cancelled TPS, and they were debating counting material science.

Edit: Oh, also I had the pleasure of meeting many of the forum users. I forgot to meet gneiss, I think I saw you in the room >.<. If you saw us we were the people who stayed after to help clean up the rocks (which I must say has been the most fun event I've ever done). That was probably one of the best parts of this.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Shad160

Post by Shad160 »

While yesterday wasn't exactly my best competition (nor was it for the entire team :|), I still had fun. Syo, I agree that rocks yesterday was probably the most fun I've ever had with an event (lol although I got 23rd), it makes me wish that I had done it for more than just that one competition.

Welp, time to change that sign from "Division C" to "Grad" :(. But that doesn't mean that I'm done with SciOly! For you Division B WLIers (...have I seen any yet this year?), I'll be proctoring Dynamic Planet and Reach for the Stars next Saturday :D
What happens on Alpha Lyrae, stays on Alpha Lyrae.
HappySciencePie

Post by HappySciencePie »

Congratulations to everybody yesterday! It was a really great competition, and I'm so glad I got to be there and befriend some people from other schools. c:

F-M, you continue to blow me away with your skill and kindness. Good luck at Nationals! <3
Nationals 2011: Flying Bird; team (Gelinas) ~ 7th
Nationals 2010: Optics ~ 9th; team (Gelinas) ~ 3rd
MELLO YELLO
Ward Melville FTW <3
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

syo_astro wrote:Well, this was somewhat annoying...we had really big issues. We can't understand what happened with some of our study events, and I personally think Geomaps must've been so close somehow they probably did some REALLY harsh grading. For gliders we also had one get stuck in the ceiling that wasn't too bad, boomi had some problems in set up or was made quick or something. Took home a 3rd in astro/rocks at least, but this was...oh well.

But of course, we'll still be trying just as hard. I think NYS will from now on just be really really shaky in ranks, it's getting really close between the top teams now. But for certain events we really feel like either there was some problem or rushing grading them, or they graded things really harshly. Also, for those who didn't know they cancelled TPS, and they were debating counting material science.

Edit: Oh, also I had the pleasure of meeting many of the forum users. I forgot to meet gneiss, I think I saw you in the room >.<. If you saw us we were the people who stayed after to help clean up the rocks (which I must say has been the most fun event I've ever done). That was probably one of the best parts of this.
Haha, I was near the doorway grading by the time you were there. I really appreciate your help cleaning up the event, by the way, made things a whole lot easier for us.

You guys did really well, top three scores were close. Out of 174 (I think), WM got 159, FM had 157, and you had 155. Very close scores, and I was glad to see so many high scores on the test. How'd you like the samples? Amazing, right?
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Oh, we loved staying after to get to talk to Paleonaps, his partner, and Vorwald. Got to see some of our mistakes, and we got to take an awesome look at some of the samples. States minerals <3. Even the non-states minerals hands down were amazing. It was one of the best times I've ever had at an event. Vorwald even recommended us going mining or going to mineral shows XD. I was also surprised to see kyanite there, considering it's rare I think, and I can't even put into words how awesome it was to see some of those samples.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

syo_astro wrote:Well, this was somewhat annoying...we had really big issues. We can't understand what happened with some of our study events, and I personally think Geomaps must've been so close somehow they probably did some REALLY harsh grading. For gliders we also had one get stuck in the ceiling that wasn't too bad, boomi had some problems in set up or was made quick or something. Took home a 3rd in astro/rocks at least, but this was...oh well.

As far as not doing to well this year, the same was true of me and my team: we only actually medalled in 2 events . During the awards ceremony, we were freaking out because of this, but when we got the full results we saw that we got a ton of 7th, 8th, and 9th places...oh well. At least we still got top ten. We'll just have to do better next year. Still had a great time anyway.

Also, syo, your room was right next to mine (Nice posters). I had wanted to stick my head in and ask which one of you was syo_astro, but I didn't feel like being awkward.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Ah man, next time say hi!!! You even would know my event times, so you'd know when to pop in. Yeah, I saw your room, and I was just figuring I didn't know whether to knock either XD. Somehow the freshmen and sophomores got together and put this whole spirit thing there. Everyone on my team was surprised, but it kept us way more spirited than usual.
sciencegreek

Post by sciencegreek »

baker wrote:
JTMess wrote:Does anyone know if the New York coordinators will be posting the results from the top 5 in every tech event again this year? We found it very helpful last year!
I'd like to see the top scores for ELG. I saw some great times flown. One team (most likely 1st place) had consistant flight times of 24 to 26 seconds. Their glider was just floating in air (FF design I think). If any of the top teams were to post their times it would be great.. thanks..
Our glider got approx. 25.3 and 25.5 for a combined score of around 50-51 seconds.
We got second place and only beat the third place team by about a second and a half or so.
Im not sure what the winners got but my guess is that their combined score was around 53-54
the top 6 scores were extremely close this year

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”