EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: New York 2013

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Two teams from both is a bit much, not even Ohio would have that many. Even California only sends 2. I'd say you need to expand to 3 before even thinking about expanding to 4.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by twototwenty »

I think a split like that would not be a bad idea at all. Even just adding a 3rd team to go to nationals would mean a lot more variety in who makes it to nationals, which would be nice. But if it were a 1-2 split, the unbalance would have to be compensated for, so a split at westchester may not be the best place. In general, I would prefer just letting NY send 3 teams each year, but I don't know if that is possible.
caseyotis
Division: C

Post by caseyotis »

twototwenty wrote:I think a split like that would not be a bad idea at all. Even just adding a 3rd team to go to nationals would mean a lot more variety in who makes it to nationals, which would be nice. But if it were a 1-2 split, the unbalance would have to be compensated for, so a split at westchester may not be the best place. In general, I would prefer just letting NY send 3 teams each year, but I don't know if that is possible.
Being in Westchester, though, where would I go? I mean, splitting NY like that has its ups and downs. I don't think NY should be sending that many teams to nationals. Just because the lower regions seem to be some of the most competitive doesn't change that splitting the state all the way down at the Lower Hudson Region will be very unbalanced. How many regions are south of there? Two, maybe three? Besides, that makes the State competition even less fun, knowing that there would only be kids from two or three other regions. I think New York is too small to be split. However, sending three teams isn't the worst idea. I just have the feeling it would be the same teams every year...
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Shad160

Post by Shad160 »

Sending three would definitely add variety for C, as the past 4 years have had 4 different 3rd place teams. I'd have to check on B, but i think it's similar there, too. It would be nice, but it's also been discussed in the past and I think the general consensus is that everyone from every other state besides here thinks that it's not a good/very fair idea.
What happens on Alpha Lyrae, stays on Alpha Lyrae.
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

For Div. B, Eagle Hill and Paul. J. Gelinas have (for the last couple of years) been the two teams to go to states. I don't know if the varied third place team is a good enough reason to allow three teams to go to nationals.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
geminicross
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

*butts in*

You , know maybe one year, they could allow every state to send an additional team, and those national results could help determine if that state really deserves an extra slot, though this would make it hard on the hosts I suppose...
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

geminicross wrote:*butts in*

You , know maybe one year, they could allow every state to send an additional team, and those national results could help determine if that state really deserves an extra slot, though this would make it hard on the hosts I suppose...
Not only would it be hard on the hosts, but it would put extra, unnecessary pressure on the teams to try and get third place, which I don't think is fair. A team may beat out another team by one or two points and then do poorly at Nationals, which would ultimately cost their whole state a slot. It's not fair to put that much pressure on one team.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
Shad160

Post by Shad160 »

caseyotis wrote:For Div. B, Eagle Hill and Paul. J. Gelinas have (for the last couple of years) been the two teams to go to states. I don't know if the varied third place team is a good enough reason to allow three teams to go to nationals.
As has been the same for Division C with Fayetteville-Manlius and Ward Melville, and I think that was the reason why Naps brought up the suggestion of splitting the state/sending extra teams, because the 3rd place team every year has been close/ has been competitive enough to deserve a spot at nationals. The same could be said, though, for many states
What happens on Alpha Lyrae, stays on Alpha Lyrae.
geminicross
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

caseyotis wrote:
geminicross wrote:*butts in*

Not only would it be hard on the hosts, but it would put extra, unnecessary pressure on the teams to try and get third place, which I don't think is fair. A team may beat out another team by one or two points and then do poorly at Nationals, which would ultimately cost their whole state a slot. It's not fair to put that much pressure on one team.
Is that significantly more pressure than there is to get 2nd?
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

caseyotis wrote:For Div. B, Eagle Hill and Paul. J. Gelinas have (for the last couple of years) been the two teams to go to states. I don't know if the varied third place team is a good enough reason to allow three teams to go to nationals.
Paul J. Gelinas's 'sibling' school, Robert C. Murphy is strong competition. Despite some devastating DQ's and 2nd tiers in many tech events at states last year, they placed fourth. Supposedly, their team is better than ever this year.

And I'm certainly not discounting C.P. Weber, who are the WLI champions. They were third last year.

I'm honestly nervous as to what is going to come out of states this year. Gelinas won the Pennsylvania Rustin Inviational in January against Eagle Hill, but the scores were ONE POINT APART.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”