Mousetrap Vehicle B

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle B

Post by chalker »

Jbob27 wrote:Can the extension bar be part of a Fishing rod? Can it be flexible or not?
general rule #2 likely applies: http://soinc.org/ethics_rules

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY
Has thanked: 0

Post by goodcheer »

Jbob27 wrote:Can the extension bar be part of a Fishing rod? Can it be flexible or not?
In my opinion it can be flexible. The rule that might concern you is 3.d which speaks of all the energy originating from the mousetraps. When the mousetraps release, they are pulling on the extension bar and the ext. bar pulls on the axle/wheels. All ext. bars will have some flex, but the flex on the bar gets there from the mousetraps. Thus, the kinetic energy that moves the vehicle originates from the mousetraps.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Been thanked: 0

Post by fleet130 »

Can the extension bar be part of a Fishing rod? Can it be flexible or not?
Of course it CAN, but the question is MAY it be used!

As noted by Chalker above, ALL extension bars have some degree of flexibility and therefore will store energy.

Note: The information below has no bearing on current rules and tournaments.

The simple answer is that the energy was transfered from the mousetrap to the fishing pole and was therefore within the rules.

The complete answer is more complex and it's possible it could violate the rules, so each case must be examined to determined whether or not it complies. The determining factor is whether ALL of the energy in the extension bar comes from the mousetrap. It's up to you to make the determination based on your understanding of energy use and transfer. Your conclusion will be judged at the competition. This forum is a good place to ask questions to further your understanding of the subject.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Jbob27
State: KY

Post by Jbob27 »

Thanks for the info
stroudchick
State: PA

Post by stroudchick »

Would anyone like to share some of their ideas for breaking systems? I'm new to the building aspect! :)
wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

stroudchick wrote:Would anyone like to share some of their ideas for breaking systems? I'm new to the building aspect! :)
Go to youtube and search for videos by gadgetjim
You will find a video called scrambler braking system which is basically a wing nut style brake.

good luck
stroudchick

Post by stroudchick »

That helped a lot, thanks so much!!
Beastybob12345
State: CA

Post by Beastybob12345 »

wlsguy wrote:
stroudchick wrote:Would anyone like to share some of their ideas for breaking systems? I'm new to the building aspect! :)
Go to youtube and search for videos by gadgetjim
You will find a video called scrambler braking system which is basically a wing nut style brake.

good luck
Yea, I used the wing nut style. It works very well. :D But our car went a little slow, so we got 5th at regionals...
[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcJRzoptYVlOdlPSHbLzFc37EVfbeQWvdCIdwEGVnkZvhxLbKBqA[/img]
Me----> Image

NorCal Science Olympiad is AWESOME!!!

mousetrapfury
State: NC

Post by mousetrapfury »

retired1 wrote:Question: you can use two mousetraps, but you cannot modify the trigger. So, how can you hit both triggers at the same time with a pencil in the vertical position. Food for thought.
you dont need to if they are conected to the same rod it should also set off the other mousetrap
rickyreports

Post by rickyreports »

how heavy will the dow rod be this is very important to fine tune my device I got 1st at regionals when my mousetrap hit the spot dead on but then I learned how much the wight of the dow matters please help thanks

Return to “2013 Build Events”