Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

fourLoko
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Post by fourLoko »

Unbihexium wrote: Linear circuits have nothing to do with number of voltage sources a linear circuit means all elements have linear VI curves as opposed to things like diodes...google is your friend you missunderstand the deffinition
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_circuit#section_1
Ohhhh, my bad. I guess I've just never seen anything complicated enough to merit the definition of "nonlinear circuit" haha...
Camas/Regionals/State
Astronomy (4/2/2)
Fermi (1/2/6)
Tech Problem Solving (1/3/4)
Circuits (2/4/1)
Experimental (7/1/2)
MagLev(-/2/8)
tangentline
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by tangentline »

iwonder wrote:Wow... what kinds of tests have you all been getting? I've seen one test(out of 4 this year) that had norton and thevenin equivalents, and I haven't seen anything complicated from a circuit analysis standpoint. All I've seen is a battery and a resistor network... Maybe a charge curve equation or two, and one test had a diode thrown in just to trick people. sigh....
Lol. A ridiculously easy test, but I practiced because I thought I could beat the team that never gets below first at regionals and hasn't gotten below first at states for the past 8 years. Turns out, nope, now I get to freely talk about circuits without fear that a competitor will be using what I say. I wanted to show off to my future employer which is a utility company that is the main sponsor of the regionals...
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

We got a legit shock value test for our regional competition. I'm so jealous of you guys with your hard tests :(
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
cyanophycean314
State: IN

Post by cyanophycean314 »

I have uploaded the two Circuit Lab tests I wrote to the test exchange. Both were designed to be done in a shorter amount of time (20-25 min), so I just combined them.

There are some questions who are separated from their answer slot by a page break, but that's what happened when I converted from a Google Doc. I think most of you guys should be able to deal with it though. :P

Let me know if there are any errors with the answers! :)
Carmel High School! :D About Me

(Whiting Inv., Northridge Inv., Regional, State) for 2013
Circuit Lab (3rd, 1st, 1st, 1ST!!)
Thermo (2nd, 4th, 2nd, 4th)
Dynamic (6th, 3rd, --, --)
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Umm, part 2 links to the part 2 key and part two key links to the part one key. :P

And the hazardous voltage to humans value varies depending on a lot of factors(where it's applied, sweat level, stuff like that) so it might help to clarify the question.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
cyanophycean314

iwonder wrote:Umm, part 2 links to the part 2 key and part two key links to the part one key. :P
Ha, thanks about that. I knew I was going to screw something up like that. I think it's fixed now.
iwonder wrote:And the hazardous voltage to humans value varies depending on a lot of factors(where it's applied, sweat level, stuff like that) so it might help to clarify the question.
Yeah, I know that's kind of a bad question, but I just found that answer here: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/4.html (Scroll down to review)

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

Well it's probably worth some kind of clarification, and Id really dispute that, maybe if you found OSHA or UL/CSA requirements about hazardous voltages if feel better. But the scars from my 600v AC shock tend to disagree with the notion that something like 30v could produce something 'dangerous' unless it's under very specific circumstances.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
cyanophycean314

iwonder wrote:Well it's probably worth some kind of clarification, and Id really dispute that, maybe if you found OSHA or UL/CSA requirements about hazardous voltages if feel better. But the scars from my 600v AC shock tend to disagree with the notion that something like 30v could produce something 'dangerous' unless it's under very specific circumstances.
This question probably should be thrown out, and feel free to do so when you take the test. I'll see if I have time to change it, but the source itself states it so broadly ("Any voltage above 30 is generally considered to be capable of delivering dangerous shock currents").

Unbihexium
State: NY

Post by Unbihexium »

cyanophycean314 wrote:
iwonder wrote:Well it's probably worth some kind of clarification, and Id really dispute that, maybe if you found OSHA or UL/CSA requirements about hazardous voltages if feel better. But the scars from my 600v AC shock tend to disagree with the notion that something like 30v could produce something 'dangerous' unless it's under very specific circumstances.
This question probably should be thrown out, and feel free to do so when you take the test. I'll see if I have time to change it, but the source itself states it so broadly ("Any voltage above 30 is generally considered to be capable of delivering dangerous shock currents").
Oooo are we talking about how one can die from electricity? I'm pretty sure if you unloaded an ultracap into a person, they could die... Also a marx generator pulse... I like electrocution!
2012 Regionals: 5th Towers
2013 Athens Twin Tiers Invites: 1st Boomilever, 1st Fermi, 3rd Circuit Lab
2013 Regionals: 1st Boomilever, 1st Fermi, 1st Circuit Lab
2013 New York States: 3rd Fermi, 3rd Circuit Lab
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »