stephritz929
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by stephritz929 »

This isn't a rule clarification question, so no one shoot me. :shock:

I was curious as to how some of you interpreted rule 3.c..I take it as there MUST be a leaf specimen, and OPTIONAL other parts of the tree..did anyone else take it like this? Or that you can have ANY part of the tree at all? My regionals test had a leaf specimen photograph provided at every station, but I just want to make sure at States they won't throw us things besides leaves.
Without motivation, what is success?
2012:
Regionals, States
Compute This: 14, 9
Disease Detectives: 3, 10
Team: 1, 7

2013:
Regionals, States
Crime Busters: 2, ?
Disease Detectives: 5, 5
Forestry: 2, ?
Helicopters: 9, ?
Team: 5, 3
silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

stephritz929 wrote:This isn't a rule clarification question, so no one shoot me. :shock:

I was curious as to how some of you interpreted rule 3.c..I take it as there MUST be a leaf specimen, and OPTIONAL other parts of the tree..did anyone else take it like this? Or that you can have ANY part of the tree at all? My regionals test had a leaf specimen photograph provided at every station, but I just want to make sure at States they won't throw us things besides leaves.
Well, you can't expect every test to be perfect. Sometimes test writers don't know the rules, or misinterpret them, leading to stations with JUST bark, or JUST fruit, or JUST flowers at Regionals or Invitationals.

Of course, hopefully, as it's a state competition, there should ALWAYS be a leaf photograph/specimen at every station. Prepare for that, but also be familiar with the distinctive 'other' tree parts. That way you'll be ready, no matter what they throw at you!
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
stephritz929
State: PA

Post by stephritz929 »

Okay, merci beaucoup!! (thank you very much) :)
Without motivation, what is success?
2012:
Regionals, States
Compute This: 14, 9
Disease Detectives: 3, 10
Team: 1, 7

2013:
Regionals, States
Crime Busters: 2, ?
Disease Detectives: 5, 5
Forestry: 2, ?
Helicopters: 9, ?
Team: 5, 3
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

I don't know how much I can do, but if anyone needs help, I'll try! I love people, and this is my second year of forestry. Especially if you're a beginner, I'd love to help. I don't know how useful I'd be for very specific types of questions (ex. telling apart the hawthorns), but I'll answer anything as best as I can. PM me if you need anything, ever <3

Love,
Silver

P.S. Happy April Fools!
P.P.S. What is the best way to tell apart the ash family, only by leaf?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

So, kinda got assigned this event 12ish days before states. Are there any commonly-confused trees that I could study hard on? I'm thinking on just learning a few notable ones. thanks :)
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

mnstrviola wrote:So, kinda got assigned this event 12ish days before states. Are there any commonly-confused trees that I could study hard on? I'm thinking on just learning a few notable ones. thanks :)
The birch family is a very good one to be confident on, along with the oaks. Let me know if you need anything, I'd love to help you out :D

pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

silverheart7 wrote:
mnstrviola wrote:So, kinda got assigned this event 12ish days before states. Are there any commonly-confused trees that I could study hard on? I'm thinking on just learning a few notable ones. thanks :)
The birch family is a very good one to be confident on, along with the oaks. Let me know if you need anything, I'd love to help you out :D
I could help you too! Pines were a little hard for me, and so were birches. Oaks aren't too hard, provided they have different acorns and leaves.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

I mostly meant that there are a lot of oaks, and it's helpful to know them on sight, because I see them come up on tests quite commonly.

yogoperson
State: CA

Post by yogoperson »

PINES WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME.
How do you guys tell them apart? I usually rely on the overall shape of the branch, and the alignment of the needles, but it isn't helping all too much.

Birches are fun, when you get their bark. :D
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
-----
Fossils
Entomology
Oh gawd what have I done to myself.
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

yogoperson wrote:PINES WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME.
How do you guys tell them apart? I usually rely on the overall shape of the branch, and the alignment of the needles, but it isn't helping all too much.

Birches are fun, when you get their bark. :D
Well, mostly I rely on the number of needles per 'bundle.' That will narrow down the number of pines, so it will be easier to identify one specific tree. From there, branch orientation, bark, shape, or cones will be useful.

Return to “2013 Study Events”