Epicness101
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by Epicness101 »

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

The current scenario you're describing goes something along the lines of supersaturation. One possible scenario is, well, beer. Under the high pressures inside the beer bottle, the carbon dioxide gas is easily dissolved by the water. At atmospheric pressures, such as when the beer bottle is opened, the solubility of the beer is lower, leading to the beer becoming supersaturated.

Another example. quite simply, is a cloud in an area/volume of water vapor
From da Big Apple
caseyotis
Division: C

Post by caseyotis »

A very common question on tests is how temperature affects DO, so it's important to know whether cold or hot water holds more oxygen.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
FueL

Post by FueL »

As far as I know, there's no simple relationship between temperature and pH. Much more important is daily variation in pH, which silentsage explained (CO2 dissolves in water to form carbonic acid, so photosynthesis, a process which removes carbon dioxide and only occurs during the day, would decrease a lake's pH while respiration increases it).

The relationship between dissolved oxygen and temperature (the warmer the water is, the less oxygen it can hold) is really important to aquatic life, which can only survive if sufficient DO is present, and does seem to be a favorite test question.

The most important section of the event to study, imo, is part one. If I were studying I'd probably devote 60% of my time to part one, 30% to part three, and 10% to part two (because the ID isn't too challenging and you only need to know basic facts about the invasives).
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
Epicness101

Post by Epicness101 »

Personally, I devote more of my time to part 3, simply because it's so hard for me to comprehend. That's just my opinion, at any rate.
From da Big Apple
yogoperson
State: CA

Post by yogoperson »

Hey you guys, how much ecology do you guys say would be good study for this event? I feel like basic ecology isn't helping me all to much. Maybe just estuary and freshwater ecology?
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
-----
Fossils
Entomology
Oh gawd what have I done to myself.
Cjkowalcz
State: PA

Post by Cjkowalcz »

yogoperson wrote:Hey you guys, how much ecology do you guys say would be good study for this event? I feel like basic ecology isn't helping me all to much. Maybe just estuary and freshwater ecology?
I dont know if div. B is similar to c, but our test focused more on freshwater. We had NO questions about estuaries. But, we still knew about them, and every test is different. So, i would just recommend putting stuff in your notes and learning as much about both as you can. Good Luck :D
2014 Rustin Invitational:
Entomology: 5th
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 Regionals:
Entomology: 3rd
Meteorology: 2nd
Experimental Design: 1st
2014 States:
???
Medal Count: 14 (Hoping for 15 after my last B-division States ;))
yogoperson
State: CA

Post by yogoperson »

Cjkowalcz wrote:
yogoperson wrote:Hey you guys, how much ecology do you guys say would be good study for this event? I feel like basic ecology isn't helping me all to much. Maybe just estuary and freshwater ecology?
I dont know if div. B is similar to c, but our test focused more on freshwater. We had NO questions about estuaries. But, we still knew about them, and every test is different. So, i would just recommend putting stuff in your notes and learning as much about both as you can. Good Luck :D
Thank you. ^^
Really, more freshwater? Interesting.
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
-----
Fossils
Entomology
Oh gawd what have I done to myself.
FueL

Post by FueL »

Basic ecology is necessary as a foundation for aquatic ecology, which you should be focusing on. Estuaries were just added this year and I've also found that they don't come up on tests often. If anything they'd be part of an ecology question, rather than water quality.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
science_geek112
State: TX

Post by science_geek112 »

What are things we need to study for for this event? Certain animals we should know? What terms should we know?
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

science_geek112 wrote:What are things we need to study for for this event? Certain animals we should know? What terms should we know?
You should be able to differentiate between every macroinvertebrate (larva and nymphs) and their class. This is good info for a cheat sheet though, because it's hard if you aren't proficient at sheer memorization.
You have to know WQI (Water Quality Index) pretty well, and know the categories (DO, BOD, nitrates, phosphates, turbidity, etc.).
Erm... What else. Practice tests are very useful because they tend to repeat questions (such as the famous "What is the relationship between temperature and dissolved oxygen in water?").
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “2013 Study Events”