Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
SilverNight
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Where are you going for colleges?

Postby SilverNight » April 7th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Sorry for the double post, but, just wondering, what are you guys planning on studying (or currently studying if you're already in college)? I'm curious as to whether people are studying things related to what events they've done in Science Olympiad.
I plan on studying computer science and maybe astrophysics. Doing astronomy in Science Olympiad was what got me interested in astrophysics.

The Eviscerator
Division: C
State: NC

Postby The Eviscerator » April 7th, 2013, 2:48 pm

I'm thinking CompSci and one of Electrical/MechE/BME/Econ/Math. I obviously still have some narrowing down to do, but these aren't really related to my Science Olympiad events at all (maybe Remote Sensing).
Interestingly, I thought there'd be somewhat more of a connection (after all, we do get to choose our events to an extent), but maybe not.

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Postby Kokonilly » April 7th, 2013, 11:24 pm

Sorry for the double post, but, just wondering, what are you guys planning on studying (or currently studying if you're already in college)? I'm curious as to whether people are studying things related to what events they've done in Science Olympiad.
I'm thinking bio (or biomedical computation, but that's only a tentative idea). Unlike other people, it seems, I was directly inspired by my work in Anatomy to pursue medicine further, and now I'm considering a career in medical research. My other events were far less influential, though - I'm not going to be a geologist or paleontologist or epidemiologist anytime soon. (Probably. You never know.)

chia
State: IL

Postby chia » April 8th, 2013, 7:07 am

As of now I'm thinking mechanical engineering (yay building events), but that's subject to change/dependent on where I'm going. Whatever I end up doing, it definitely won't be entirely pure/theoretical, though. Since it's pretty difficult to double major when one is engineering, I am hoping to minor in English, linguistics, architecture, or photography.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby 49ers » April 8th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Ironically, I'm planning on going into astrophysics, chemistry, music, or optics, of which I have only done Astronomy and Optics in Science O related events.
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
Ursinus Bearcox 2020
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics and Astronomy major; Bio, Math minors
Nu Delta Omicron founder.

FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Postby FullMetalMaple » April 8th, 2013, 2:34 pm

I'm going into biochem because of Protein Modeling. I also considered astrophysics for a while because of Astronomy.

Science Olympiad itself is the reason I'm majoring in science.

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Postby AlphaTauri » April 8th, 2013, 2:59 pm

I'm going into biochem because of Protein Modeling. I also considered astrophysics for a while because of Astronomy.
Heheh, I refuse to go into biochem because of Protein Modeling (that event drove me INSANE...well, more insane).

I'm thinking of majoring in MechE with a specialization in Aerospace, with maybe a minor or a double major in Physics (a lot of the classes overlap, I would think); Caltech would be my dream school for that because of JPL, but I'll probably be happy no matter where I go, as long as it's a decent school with plenty of opportunities.

I also considered going into astrophysics for a while, but I decided that I'd rather be the person getting to design/create the cool stuff used to study astronomical objects, rather than staring at graphs and data tables and blurry blobs for hours on end :P
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

quizbowl
State: NY

Postby quizbowl » April 8th, 2013, 10:38 pm

It looks like my primary major will be Geophysical Sciences, and I'm either double majoring in Chemistry or Biological Sciences (Ecology & Evolution). Although a minor in Cinema and Media Studies is not out of the question.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

quizbowl

Postby quizbowl » April 10th, 2013, 1:19 pm

Double post ;_; but decided on Biological Sciences and Geophysical Sciences. Paleontology!
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby gh » April 12th, 2013, 7:21 pm

In case any builders are on the fence about engineering schools: http://blog.makezine.com/2013/03/28/geo ... education/
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.

Return to “General Chat”