Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by ScienceOlympian »

What unusual cloud formations are there?
I put the common cloud types
Altocumulus lenticular
Mammatus
Pyrocumulus
and pileus.
What other clouds should I put in the notes?
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
mrburrito
Division: B
State: TN

Post by mrburrito »

You should have a chart showing all the cloud types, it doesn't fill up much space.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
mrburrito
State: TN

Post by mrburrito »

What team, at this point in the year, do you guys think is the strongest in meteorology? I really can't tell right now.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
Hosj
State: MD

Post by Hosj »

I just had States yesterday, and it was run in stations!!! Just think people should be prepared for anything. ( we took first both in meteorology and overall!! We are going to nationals!!!)
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th
cookiecandy123
State: CA

Post by cookiecandy123 »

Hosj, did you have to identify clouds and optical phenomena at every station? Is that why the test was set up in stations?
Hosj

Post by Hosj »

cookiecandy123 wrote:Hosj, did you have to identify clouds and optical phenomena at every station? Is that why the test was set up in stations?
No, there was absolutely no clouds or optical phenomena. There was a lot about weather station models and air masses.
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Toms_42
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by Toms_42 »

anyone have any good dopplar resources and/or important things to know? we got stumped on questions such as "what is a vault" and "what does a hook echo mean"
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

Toms_42 wrote:anyone have any good dopplar resources and/or important things to know? we got stumped on questions such as "what is a vault" and "what does a hook echo mean"
Hook echo is the part of the thunderstorm where the precipitation is "wrapped" around a mesocyclone. A hook echo usually shows that there is a good chance for a tornado. The term Vault sounds vaguely familiar but I would need to research that up to help you out. NWS actually has some great pages explaining what radar is and how it works.

If anyone has questions about Meteorology ever, feel free to shoot me up a PM :)
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
Hosj

Post by Hosj »

The vault is the core region of highest precipitation and highest reflectivites. If hail is occuring, it is largest in the vault. When the rain is pouring down in sheets, you are in the vault.
Toms_42
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by Toms_42 »

tornado guy wrote:
Toms_42 wrote:anyone have any good dopplar resources and/or important things to know? we got stumped on questions such as "what is a vault" and "what does a hook echo mean"
Hook echo is the part of the thunderstorm where the precipitation is "wrapped" around a mesocyclone. A hook echo usually shows that there is a good chance for a tornado. The term Vault sounds vaguely familiar but I would need to research that up to help you out. NWS actually has some great pages explaining what radar is and how it works.

If anyone has questions about Meteorology ever, feel free to shoot me up a PM :)
hossj wrote:The vault is the core region of highest precipitation and highest reflectivites. If hail is occuring, it is largest in the vault. When the rain is pouring down in sheets, you are in the vault.
Thanks to both of you, we have states this Friday, so this Is helpful.

Return to “2013 Study Events”