silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Worst books

Post by silverheart7 »

I loved Catching Fire.. That was my fav
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
zerasaw
Division: C
State: OH

Post by zerasaw »

Crossroads of Twilight, anyone?
Also, Eragon is badly written.
Life List: 373 (last Common Redpoll, Lorain Impoundment, Lorain County, OH)
Bird I Desperately Want to See: Eastern Whip-poor-will
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by ScienceOlympian »

silverheart7 wrote:I loved Catching Fire.. That was my fav
Me too!
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

I really liked the whole Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, etc.) I thought it was confusing/overwritten at times, but there was a lot of thought and skill put into that book. I'm planning to write to the author this summer, when I have more time.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus

Post by mnstrviola »

mwloveslm wrote:
ScienceOlympian wrote:Mockingjay
Mockingjay was my second fave in the hunger games trilogy....I hated Catching fire cuz it was just a repitition on the Hunger Games.....and obviously the Hunger Games was amazing :D
Really? I found Catching Fire to be the best balance between the actual HG aspect and the rebellion. The whole setup of the 50th HG was really interesting, also character development and stuff. Mockingjay was the stupidest thing ever, they just ran around the Capitol without any reasonable motive and got killed :/

The movie seems interesting, but it looks like it won't actually have any of the 50th HG
mwloveslm

Post by mwloveslm »

mnstrviola wrote:
mwloveslm wrote:
ScienceOlympian wrote:Mockingjay
Mockingjay was my second fave in the hunger games trilogy....I hated Catching fire cuz it was just a repitition on the Hunger Games.....and obviously the Hunger Games was amazing :D
Really? I found Catching Fire to be the best balance between the actual HG aspect and the rebellion. The whole setup of the 50th HG was really interesting, also character development and stuff. Mockingjay was the stupidest thing ever, they just ran around the Capitol without any reasonable motive and got killed :/

The movie seems interesting, but it looks like it won't actually have any of the 50th HG
Ya I'm not that excited to see the movie....
Livin' the Cali Lyfe (:
CHURCHILL MS
Build Events <3 <3
HeartCaro
State: MI

Post by HeartCaro »

okay thats easy TWILIGHT
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

Insert Name Here wrote:But my answer to the question: The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies. I read this about two years ago and in my opinion, it shouldn't even be considered a book. It's just a bunch of stupid tiny short stories about how two kids have like face-off to see who can withstand the hottest pepper.
That's not at all what it's about... It's a bunch of not-quite-scary horror stories. I've read most of the stories, I'm not sure whether I liked them or not. It was very different.

Also, though I wouldn't call this awful, the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark has a lot of... oh I shouldn't say bad, but not at all scary stories in it. I guess they are probably scarier for the intended age group(3rd-5th grade), but the illustrations in the original books are definitely not suitable for that age group.
zerasaw
State: OH

Post by zerasaw »

Worst fantasy:
Eragon
Warriors (starting about midway during the 2nd series, when they hire the plot editor)
Wheel of Time(Books 8 and 10)
The Black Prism (really cliche)
Malazan (really boring and complicated)

I know some fan of Erikson or Weeks is about to kill me on this.
Life List: 373 (last Common Redpoll, Lorain Impoundment, Lorain County, OH)
Bird I Desperately Want to See: Eastern Whip-poor-will
Allinea
State: MN

Post by Allinea »

I really liked (will not say love though) the Eragon books, with the exception of the final book. I have to agree with Lady Epidemic on the fact that the descriptions are one of the things that made the books worth it. The world was created so vividly for me in my mind, yet with enough gaps left to the imagination. I feel like much of the momentum that was building up in Brisingr was lost in the final book, especially after the jarring final battle at the end of Brisingr. Nasuada was basically forgotten in terms of character development, and that still bothers me. The final book/battle overall felt more like a fanfic gone awry than a well-rounded, meaningful conclusion.

Overall consensus for me: The first three books, great. The final book, meh.

I read a book over the winter about cod. Literally, all about cod and how it's "changed" the world, sprinkled with different cod recipes. It killed the whole unit for me. DO NOT READ IT.
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]

Return to “General Chat”