Build Events <3 <3
death_owl
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Post by death_owl »

mwloveslm wrote:why dont we just do top 15....
i think thats a good idea
Beckendorff Science Olympiad
Tennis, Basketball, Swimming, Track <3
CELLO ORK-DORK :D
2nd Year
Going to State/Nats.
I like food :]
sr243
Division: C
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

You can rank how many you want but you really need to back up your rankings. It doesn't do much just to make lists without explaining why you put Team X in position Y. We all will have our own lists without concrete support which doesn't help much. Information about the teams is so important to trying to rank the teams. Even if it is a sentence or two, it would be so much better than making arbitrary lists.
Also I just want to put up the list from last year so we don't miss any teams as it seems like representation in this thread determines much of the rankings.

Last years Nationals
1. Solon (OH)
2. Marie Murphy (IL)
3. Booth (GA)
4. Churchill (CA)
5. Beckendorff (TX)
6. Daniel Wright (IL)
7. Meads Mill (MI)
8. Longfellow (VA)
9. Magsig (OH) (Mentor this year)
10. Muscatel (CA)
11. Excel Homeschool (WA) (Canyon Park this year)
12. Hamilton (WI)
13. Lakeshore (MI)
14. Gelinas (NY)
15. Community (NJ)

I feel like certain teams are over and underrepresented because of the users in the thread (normal, expected). Anyways, I propose narrowing down to the top 15 teams and then top 10. Maybe after that, we can figure out the top 5. However, we need reasons to add or kick teams from each list. So I will put in order by alphabetical state the top 15 teams from last year and we will discuss which teams should be kicked or added.

CA Churchill
CA Muscatel
GA Booth
IL Daniel Wright
IL Marie Murphy
MI Meads
MI Lakeshore
NJ Community
NY Gelinas
OH Solon
OH Mentor
TX Beckendorff
VA Longfellow
WA Canyon Park
WI Hamilton

I will start off. I propose kicking WA Canyon Park. Excel did well last year but not this year (5th at states). Canyon Park was 2nd at states last year so they moved up to 1st.
(http://www.clark.edu/special/scienceoly ... ores_B.pdf) I don't think Canyon will be able to do as well as Excel did last year so I don't think they will be in the top 15.

I do think Shady Side from PA has a chance since they cut their state score from 117 to 79 did well in almost all events except Mission Possible (17th) If they can improve that, they definitely should be in the top 15. http://www.juniata.edu/projects/scioly/ ... scores.pdf

In that case the new list is:

CA Churchill
CA Muscatel
GA Booth
IL Daniel Wright
IL Marie Murphy
MI Meads
MI Lakeshore
NJ Community
NY Gelinas
OH Solon
OH Mentor
PA Shady Side
TX Beckendorff
VA Longfellow
WI Hamilton

If anyone has objections or other changes they want the top 15 list to change, please comment. I am a bit too tired to do more research right now. However, I feel like this is a more systematic approach than having people give whatever list they want. Once you think the list is good for top 15, say so and we will narrow down the top 10.
mwloveslm
State: CA

Post by mwloveslm »

well thanks for taking the innitiative :D
Livin' the Cali Lyfe (:
CHURCHILL MS
Build Events <3 <3
Makeithappen
State: IL

Post by Makeithappen »

look, i think we need to look at competitions including multiple top teams, like Solon. I know I'm biased for South but I really think we deserve a top 15 ranking. The problem is nobody thinks that because we come in 3rd, when the truth is we can come in the top 15 if we make it to nationals. SO isn't just state
Invites: 2nd in Dynamic Planet and Water Quality
6th place Food Science Solon Invite
Regionals: 4th place Food Science, 3rd place Dynamic Planet 2nd place Water Qualtiy
mwloveslm

Post by mwloveslm »

Makeithappen wrote:look, i think we need to look at competitions including multiple top teams, like Solon. I know I'm biased for South but I really think we deserve a top 15 ranking. The problem is nobody thinks that because we come in 3rd, when the truth is we can come in the top 15 if we make it to nationals. SO isn't just state
wait ur state competition hasn't happened yet???
Livin' the Cali Lyfe (:
CHURCHILL MS
Build Events <3 <3
sr243
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

mwloveslm wrote: wait ur state competition hasn't happened yet???
Illinois states already finished. South got 3rd so they are not going to nationals but might get top 15 if they had the chance
Makeithappen wrote:look, i think we need to look at competitions including multiple top teams, like Solon. I know I'm biased for South but I really think we deserve a top 15 ranking. The problem is nobody thinks that because we come in 3rd, when the truth is we can come in the top 15 if we make it to nationals. SO isn't just state
I would like to add other teams that would be in the top 15 but the problem is they aren't going to nationals. With the top 15 at nationals, at least we can see the results after nationals. In addition, teams can change quite a bit from states to nationals. I know one example from our state where the winning team went from 14th or so in Mousetrap vehicle at states to 3rd at nationals. That was one of their worst event at state but best at nationals. I am sure that many Ohio teams could also be up there but the problem with those rankings is that we can't test that list (that is what science is about right? Research, hypothesize, experiment, and analyze). That is the main reason I want to do this type of list where we name the top teams with support and then can compare it to the actual. Maybe if you guys want to be competitive, I can make it a contest (new thread). Otherwise let's just discuss what teams are top 15, 10, 5 at nationals and go from there.

If you want the contest, the rules would be as follow: Post the teams at nationals in 3 lists, Each team in the correct list would be 1 point.
Teams 11-15 (order doesn't matter)
Teams 5-10 (+1 for each team in correct position)
Teams 1-5 (+2 for each team in correct position)
I think I will do this once all the states are done.

For now, let's just add insight to who top 15 teams are going to be at nationals.
death_owl
State: TX

Post by death_owl »

mwloveslm wrote:
our state hasn't happened yet. it's on Friday and Saturday for us. We're leaving Thursday :P
Beckendorff Science Olympiad
Tennis, Basketball, Swimming, Track <3
CELLO ORK-DORK :D
2nd Year
Going to State/Nats.
I like food :]
mwloveslm

Post by mwloveslm »

death_owl wrote:
mwloveslm wrote:
our state hasn't happened yet. it's on Friday and Saturday for us. We're leaving Thursday :P
Oh okay haha good luck!!! :)
Livin' the Cali Lyfe (:
CHURCHILL MS
Build Events <3 <3
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

There's usually a nationals prediction contest that goes up after all the states competitions are done.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2013 Nationals”