Pennsylvania 2013

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Pennsylvania 2013

Post by syo_astro »

Fair enough, I just was trying to say it wasn't 4-5 teams >.>. I guess I'll let you carry on whatever other PA discussions there are (though, that whole multiple teams thing whether it be at nats or not or whatever has been discussed so many times...I know casey said it but oh so many times still....). I also wasn't saying that if other states had multiple teams they wouldn't be as big as NYS (on the contrary I already agree with that fully).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I'd like to say that unless NSO implements wild card tournaments like this or something similar, states should not start sending 3 teams. It's hard enough trying to figure out the cutoff between 2 and 1; once you add 3 in there, there will be questions about the methodology all over the place.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
isaysroar
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by isaysroar »

Oh my god...not this argument. There is no such thing as specific states being more competitive as others. In my opinion, even though NY has much more teams, they only have this record due to the amount of teams being registered. Also, on the other hand for PA, we don't have much luck gathering as many competitors for Science Olympiad, but is lucky enough to have many schools participating in Science Olympiad. Everyone has the capability and potential to do well and medal, but some people just work harder ;)
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:I'd like to say that unless NSO implements wild card tournaments like this or something similar, states should not start sending 3 teams. It's hard enough trying to figure out the cutoff between 2 and 1; once you add 3 in there, there will be questions about the methodology all over the place.
This is all I said. I didn't want to start the whole debate over who's more competitive. I just think that there should be some wild card competitions for those who almost made it (let's say, [2nd]/3rd/4th would qualify to compete there, and then a state could send three teams but one of them would be a wild card team so it wouldn't really count).

This argument is pointless and never solves anything, so don't start it, right? ._.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Just to say, no worries, there isn't really much of a debate here at least to what I see...so yeah, just don't think there is one, and it'll all be good! Just move on with other conversations >.>.
Edit: Also, sorry if I contributed to anything that seemed like a debate/bad feelings/etc (feel like I should say sorry if that was done considering I'm an outsider ;) ).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

I'm an outsider too; maybe we should stay out of this. .-.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
isaysroar

Post by isaysroar »

Mmmm...I just got really confused. But now finally understanding this situation...Wouldn't a wildcard be nice. It should be a wild card for the top 10 teams though.
Disease Detectives- 4th
Helicopters- 1st
Road Scholar- 5th
Write it Do it- 2nd
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I don't know if a wild card for the top 10 is a good idea. That makes it a little too easy for teams to qualify for the wild card. In Pennsylvania, if such a tournament were implemented, I would say that 3-4 teams would go on, which gives the teams that have a realistic chance of competing for the wild card spot that chance. The top 2 would still automatically qualify.

I would like to say that Stroudsburg Junior High was very impressive this year, going from 5th at regionals to 3rd at states. It'll be interesting to see if they can carry over this success to next year, and possibly score below 200 at states. Either that or another school may come up and take their place, maybe Bala Cynwyd if they can return to the levels of past years. Either way, it marks the best Stroudsburg has done since their run at nationals ended in 2006.

EDIT: Just want to make sure everyone realizes I'm not from Sttroudsburg, because that sometimes seems to be an issue. :roll:
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

No, top ten is too much. Like I said earlier, the top 2-3/3-4 teams could qualify for a local wild card tournament where the top two qualify... Or something like that.

Yay, Stroudsburg! :D
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
ReBobville

Post by ReBobville »

Personally, I like the current qualification system for nationals. Yes, for teams like conestoga this year, it can seem very cruel. However, I think that nationals currently has the perfect number of teams (per division), and each state has to have at least one spot. Also, I personally enjoy the close races for the top two spots at states! I think it makes the tournament all the more exciting.

P.S Great State tournament this year! I thought that it was very well run and was impressed by how fast the awards ceremony ran. Also, the test for remote sensing was really good and interesting to take for 50min.
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”