Unofficial Rankings, Division B

DivineBbbbbeast
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Post by DivineBbbbbeast »

For those of you complaining about Solon Middle School having 9th graders, it's not that they chose to be part of Div B, it's more of the fact they're not allowed to participate in Div C. I believe that the Solon HS coach made some policy a while back that disallowed them from being part of the Div C team, so the only option they have besides not competing in SO is being on the Div B team.
Solon High School Class of 2014
Vanderbilt University Class of 2018

2012 Nats: 1st Thermodynamics, 7th Fermi Questions, 28th LoLptics
2013 Nats: 2nd Thermodynamics, 8th Remote Sensing, 9th Fermi Questions
2014 Moral Support :P
caseyotis
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

DivineBbbbbeast wrote:For those of you complaining about Solon Middle School having 9th graders, it's not that they chose to be part of Div B, it's more of the fact they're not allowed to participate in Div C. I believe that the Solon HS coach made some policy a while back that disallowed them from being part of the Div C team, so the only option they have besides not competing in SO is being on the Div B team.
It works better that way, anyways. A team that has 7th-9th graders (or even 6th-9th) for its Div. B team has a better chance than a team with 6th-8th for somewhat obvious reasons.
I'm competing in Div. C next year as a freshman. Needless to say, I probably won't do very well at all. I still need experience. I still enjoy it.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

sr243 wrote:I will start off. I propose kicking WA Canyon Park. Excel did well last year but not this year (5th at states). Canyon Park was 2nd at states last year so they moved up to 1st.
(http://www.clark.edu/special/scienceoly ... ores_B.pdf) I don't think Canyon will be able to do as well as Excel did last year so I don't think they will be in the top 15.
Yeah, I think Canyon Park will probably end up in the mid 20's. None of their team has been to nationals before, and also, they didn't break under 100 at state this year, usually we (ExCEL) were always consistent at getting in the 70's at state. Last year we were a HIGHLY veteran team and 12/15 kids has been to nationals 2-3 times. Canyon Park does not have that same advantage.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
alpacas
State: CA

Post by alpacas »

I don't exactly know where to post this, but when does the "fantasy SO" voting system open/what is the link if it is already open? thanks
fozendog
Division: Grad

Post by fozendog »

alpacas wrote:I don't exactly know where to post this, but when does the "fantasy SO" voting system open/what is the link if it is already open? thanks
It will most likely be started a couple days after the Texas State Competition (This Saturday)
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
Myyu
Division: B
State: MI

Post by Myyu »

For those discussing 6th grade-9th grade and 7th grade-9th grade teams, both Grand Haven teams (White Pines and Lakeshore) pull 9th graders from Grand Haven High School. The reason for this is that 9th graders don't compete at the Division C level in Grand Haven, and so they practice and compete for the middle school they last attended, per the rules:
A school with grades X-8 can only bring back 5 students from grade 9 (from the previous year's enrollment of 8th grade students)
A school with grades X-7 can only bring back 5 students from grade 8 or 9 (who had been previously enrolled in that school as a 7th grade student)
A school with grades X-6 can only bring back 5 students from grades 7, 8 or 9 (who had been previously enrolled in that school as a 6th grader)
It is perfectly fair, and it is the school's choice as to whether or not to pull 9th grade students from the district's high school, as long as the 9th grade students aren't competing for the high school team as well.
mrburrito
Division: B
State: TN

Post by mrburrito »

This week's rankings.

1. Solon
2. Daniel Wright
3. Meads Mill
4. Booth
5. Mary Murphie
6. Winston Churchill
7. Beckondorff
8. Shady Side
9. Muscatel
T-10. Mentor Memorial
T-10. Paul J. Gelinas
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
ckssv07
State: PA

Post by ckssv07 »

1.Daniel Wright
2.Solon
3.Meads Mill
4.Marie Murphy
5.Booth
6.Churchill
7.Beckendorff
8.Muscatel
9.Shady Side
10.Gelinas
tornado guy

Post by tornado guy »

My personal rankings..

1. Solon
2. Meads Mill BOOTH IS SOMEWHERE IN HERE
3. Marie Murphy <-------
4. Daniel Wright <-------
5. Churchill
6. Beckendorff
7. Longfellow
8. Gelinas
9. Shady Side
10. Hamilton

You guys better look out for Hamilton. Over the past few years they have been moving up the national rankings, and were less then 20 points away last year from getting top 10.
EDIT: oops, forgot about Booth.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
sr243
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

tornado guy wrote:My personal rankings..

1. Solon
2. Meads Mill
3. Marie Murphy
4. Daniel Wright
5. Churchill
6. Beckendorff
7. Longfellow
8. Gelinas
9. Shady Side
10. Hamilton

You guys better look out for Hamilton. Over the past few years they have been moving up the national rankings, and were less then 20 points away last year from getting top 10.
Hmm, interesting. I know Hamilton a bit. The main thing is they just have a couple events that don't do quite as well. This year it is metric mastery and food science (mousetrap vehicle broke so I don't know how they will do). However, there are some other questionable events like boomilever (500 efficency) and rotor egg drop (3.5s for 7m) that they did only okay at states. I don't think this is the year for them though because they have a new coach. While they are doing fine, they weren't dominating like last year (sum of 19 events under 40). Either that or Wisconsin science olympiad got really competitive this year (don't think it did by that much). You can look at the scores here (with raw scores).

Overall scores http://www.uwosh.edu/science_outreach/s ... verall.pdf
Raw scores http://www.uwosh.edu/science_outreach/s ... Sheets.pdf

Return to “2013 Nationals”