PicturePerfect
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by PicturePerfect »

@ScienceOlympian:
Cool! :D I actually got 2nd at Regionals, but the test was SO much easier than States.
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |
Beastybob12345
Division: B

Post by Beastybob12345 »

Cool, sounds like a cool event. :D
[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcJRzoptYVlOdlPSHbLzFc37EVfbeQWvdCIdwEGVnkZvhxLbKBqA[/img]
Me----> Image

NorCal Science Olympiad is AWESOME!!!

reesabp
State: WA

Post by reesabp »

Who writes the NSO DG test? Is it the national event supervisor or is it the Wright State university professor? Also...who is the NSO event supervisor for DG?
havenbreadfish
State: PA

Post by havenbreadfish »

reesabp wrote:Who writes the NSO DG test? Is it the national event supervisor or is it the Wright State university professor? Also...who is the NSO event supervisor for DG?
I'm not sure if this applies to division C, but for division B the national event supervisor Karen Lankour designs the test. She wrote the Heredity nationals test from 2006, when it was last an event, and the microbe test from last year, both of which were about 11 reasonably long stations. So, the test is probably going to be in this form, and I'm about 90% sure that this be true for Designer Genes as well.
Strath Haven Science Olympiad - 6th Year

2016 Events: Invasive Species, Dynamic Planet, Green Generation, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Hydrogeology
Past Events: Road Scholar, Heredity, Water Quality, DP, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Entomology
JhnyT13

Post by JhnyT13 »

How does a dihibrid cross work? Is it when two organisms with heterozygous mate? I don't really get it.... :?
JhnyT13
crazyfloboe
State: TX

Post by crazyfloboe »

JhnyT13 wrote:How does a dihibrid cross work? Is it when two organisms with heterozygous mate? I don't really get it.... :?
Yes because if you have a homozygous of either parent (compleatly homozygous like BBLL) your trait will always foil out to BL
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

JhnyT13 wrote:How does a dihibrid cross work? Is it when two organisms with heterozygous mate? I don't really get it.... :?
Yeah, dihybrid literally means "two HYBRID". What this means though isn't just that you have two heterozygous organisms mating, it means that you have two organisms that are heterozygous for two different traits mating.

A cross like Aa x Aa is a monohybrid cross because there's only one mate. That's easy, you get 1/4 AA, 1/2 Aa, 1/4 aa. A dihybrid cross, like AaBb x AaBb is much more difficult.

Because of genes assort independent of each other, the splitting of the A and B alleles are totally unrelated. Whether the offspring gets B or b from a parent has absolutely nothing to do with whether they got an A or an a. There are a lot more combinations you can get.

From a dihybrid cross, you can get AABB or AABb or AaBB or AAbb or AaBb or Aabb or aaBB or aaBb or aabb as possible genotypes. I believe that ratio is 1:2:1:2:4:2:1:2:1 (I don't know if it's for that exact order, but I'm too lazy to do the math right now). There are 4 possible phenotypes for that; A-B-, A-bb, aaB-, and aabb, with a ratio of 9:3:3:1.

You can even have a trihybrid cross, where you cross AaBbCc x AaBbCc. That takes even longer to do, and you can have even more than that; I've seen a question with 6 different traits. By the time you reach a trihybrid cross, making a Punnett Square gets REALLY difficult and time-consuming, so there's a shortcut you can do. I posted it a few pages back, so read that if you want. If you can't find it, ask me and I'll type it out again.

I probably went into a lot more detail than you wanted, hehe, but I hope that helped.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
JhnyT13

Post by JhnyT13 »

gneissisnice wrote:
Yeah, dihybrid literally means "two HYBRID". What this means though isn't just that you have two heterozygous organisms mating, it means that you have two organisms that are heterozygous for two different traits mating.

A cross like Aa x Aa is a monohybrid cross because there's only one mate. That's easy, you get 1/4 AA, 1/2 Aa, 1/4 aa. A dihybrid cross, like AaBb x AaBb is much more difficult.

Because of genes assort independent of each other, the splitting of the A and B alleles are totally unrelated. Whether the offspring gets B or b from a parent has absolutely nothing to do with whether they got an A or an a. There are a lot more combinations you can get.

From a dihybrid cross, you can get AABB or AABb or AaBB or AAbb or AaBb or Aabb or aaBB or aaBb or aabb as possible genotypes. I believe that ratio is 1:2:1:2:4:2:1:2:1 (I don't know if it's for that exact order, but I'm too lazy to do the math right now). There are 4 possible phenotypes for that; A-B-, A-bb, aaB-, and aabb, with a ratio of 9:3:3:1.

You can even have a trihybrid cross, where you cross AaBbCc x AaBbCc. That takes even longer to do, and you can have even more than that; I've seen a question with 6 different traits. By the time you reach a trihybrid cross, making a Punnett Square gets REALLY difficult and time-consuming, so there's a shortcut you can do. I posted it a few pages back, so read that if you want. If you can't find it, ask me and I'll type it out again.

I probably went into a lot more detail than you wanted, hehe, but I hope that helped.
thank u 8-) :D :) :P :mrgreen:
JhnyT13
The Eviscerator
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

Was it just me or did anybody else think the C division Designer Genes test was way too easy? Compounded with the fact that there were something like 4 questions where we needed a codon amino-acid chart and weren't provided with one, I feel like the scores must have been pretty close and kinda sketchy. I remember a lot of the teams finishing really, absurdly early and looking really worried.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

The Eviscerator wrote:Was it just me or did anybody else think the C division Designer Genes test was way too easy? Compounded with the fact that there were something like 4 questions where we needed a codon amino-acid chart and weren't provided with one, I feel like the scores must have been pretty close and kinda sketchy. I remember a lot of the teams finishing really, absurdly early and looking really worried.
You were expected to memorize the amino acid codon chart? Wow, that's insane.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Return to “2013 Study Events”