MagLev C

blakinator8
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MagLev C

Post by blakinator8 »

Does anyone have results from Nationals?
Proud member of the Liberal Arts and Science Academy team, 2012-2015
erikb
Division: C
State: CO

Post by erikb »

The top scorer was over 6k and under a second for 67cm

Poudre was 6th
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.
erikb

Post by erikb »

Another idea would be to make it a time to distance test and for the bonus a random weight could be added

And no bonus for weight of the sled
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.
hmcginny
State: PA

Post by hmcginny »

The winning car was 7.1 kg at .85 seconds for a ~8350 at 64 cm (or at least that's the car score of the winning team). I'm not sure how good solon was, but I believe their score was slightly worse, or maybe we just beat them on the test. It would be interesting if they released the full score sheet in the test packet like they did last year.
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.
Jdogg

Post by Jdogg »

hmcginny wrote:The winning car was 7.1 kg at .85 seconds for a ~8350 at 64 cm (or at least that's the car score of the winning team). I'm not sure how good solon was, but I believe their score was slightly worse, or maybe we just beat them on the test. It would be interesting if they released the full score sheet in the test packet like they did last year.
I'll most likely post a few videos of our robot arm, gravity vehicle, and maglev online this week. Ill post a link to it when I get around to it.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
plaidsuitguy1

Post by plaidsuitguy1 »

For the Poudre Build Team the final scores at Nationals were:

Gliders - 1st place + $1500 scholarship to school of choice
Gravity Vehicle - 2nd place
Robot Arm - 3rd place. We would have been second if not for a last minute rule clarification that was misinterpreted
Maglev - 6th place
Boomilever - 9th place
Remote Sensing (One build team member and one non-build team partner) - 1st place + $1000 scholarship to school of choice

With only three members, we were the second best build team at Nationals

Coming soon: A picture of our amazing suits.
plaidsuitguy1

Post by plaidsuitguy1 »

Poudre's maglev weighed 2400 grams and traveled the distance of 64 cm in 0.5 seconds. Unfortunately, we greatly overestimated our capabilities and our predicted time was off by 0.12 seconds. My partner and i felt very confident on the test, so we were surprised to learn that we only score 23/50.

Does anyone know the first two American inventors that theorized maglevs?
pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

plaidsuitguy1 wrote:Does anyone know the first two American inventors that theorized maglevs?
From what I know, I believe it was James Powell and Gordon Danby from Brookhaven National Laboratory. I'm not quite sure if they were indeed the first, but I know they were at least one of the first.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
GeoChamp96
State: TX

Post by GeoChamp96 »

hmcginny wrote:The winning car was 7.1 kg at .85 seconds for a ~8350 at 64 cm (or at least that's the car score of the winning team). I'm not sure how good solon was, but I believe their score was slightly worse, or maybe we just beat them on the test. It would be interesting if they released the full score sheet in the test packet like they did last year.
7.1kg?? That's insane! I'm not nearly as good at this event as most people on this thread, but I can't even imagine the magnets on a track supporting that kind of weight, let alone having it travel the distance in under a second... How on Earth does one accomplish this?
Jdogg

Post by Jdogg »

GeoChamp96 wrote:
7.1kg?? That's insane! I'm not nearly as good at this event as most people on this thread, but I can't even imagine the magnets on a track supporting that kind of weight, let alone having it travel the distance in under a second... How on Earth does one accomplish this?
haha, :). Look at the highlight video at 1:46. We'll probably post another video of the car and track later this week.
http://www.wright.edu/cats/technical/eventstream/
click highlights then
click sont highlights
Look for the hockey mask at 1:46 :)
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School

Return to “2013 Build Events”