bwilby
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by bwilby »

TheGenius wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:Yeah, I definitely wanna hear about the test.

I know the kids at Ward Melville who did it are very good at it (1st at States), but they ended up with 50th. I'm sure there's a hilarious story behind that, but I haven't heard it yet.
Well, I'm not sure what you've heard, but there were six stations, with 10 minutes to complete each. Each stations consisted of multiple choice and short answer
questions, some based on images taped on the desks, while others were general without context. If I recall correctly, there were stations on the properties of different materials (i.e. sand and ice), refraction of light through different mediums, image interpretation and matching (What the heck is El Nada?), wakes of ships travelling through water, GRACE (Station 3 I think), and something else that I don't remember.
Yeah, there was a station with about 20 images taped to the desk, and there were about 35 options to choose from to describe the picture.
The waves station was a joke.
There was also a secchi disk on there.
Harriton High School
bwilby

Post by bwilby »

reesabp wrote:If you prepared for a RS test like everyone in the past, that test was sooooo off-base. It did not accurately reflect the rules. Fozendog and I were talking about how it was basically a Dynamic Planet Test + Water Quality + a hint of Satellites (the GRACE questions).
That's exactly what it was like! But not even to the point where you could apply very much information from those events remote style.
My partner and I prepared as well as the remote team from my school before us, and they got first place for the past two years while we got 26th with this test.
Harriton High School
The Eviscerator
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

bwilby wrote:
reesabp wrote:If you prepared for a RS test like everyone in the past, that test was sooooo off-base. It did not accurately reflect the rules. Fozendog and I were talking about how it was basically a Dynamic Planet Test + Water Quality + a hint of Satellites (the GRACE questions).
That's exactly what it was like! But not even to the point where you could apply very much information from those events remote style.
My partner and I prepared as well as the remote team from my school before us, and they got first place for the past two years while we got 26th with this test.
Pretty much. This was the first Remote Sensing test I have ever seen (and I have seen A LOT) that did not even mention Landsat or the A-Train. I could have thrown all of my note sheets and time spent studying out the window, and I would've done the same. It was simply NOT a Remote Sensing test. It seemed more like a unbalanced hodge podge of Earth Science and Physics with topics that either you knew, not because of having studied for Remote Sensing, or didn't.
reesabp
State: WA

Post by reesabp »

Exactly. I feel as though this should be brought up to someone...idk who though...what do you all think?
bwilby

Post by bwilby »

reesabp wrote:Exactly. I feel as though this should be brought up to someone...idk who though...what do you all think?
Honestly it wouldn't do anything. It's just a dam shame that we all studied for an entire year for a test we never got to take.
Last edited by bwilby on May 20th, 2013, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harriton High School
reesabp
State: WA

Post by reesabp »

True. That pretty much sums it all up I guess.
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

reesabp wrote:Exactly. I feel as though this should be brought up to someone...idk who though...what do you all think?
I think you just did. Some of the "powers that be" read these boards.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

bwilby wrote:
Honestly it wouldn't do anything. It's just a dam shame that we all studied for an entire year for a test we never got to take.
That's how I felt about Food Science at States when I was in 11th grade.

The event wasn't run at Regionals, and I had always done well in it the years before. I studied like crazy and learned everything about nutrition and biochemistry, including memorizing all of the amino acids, minerals, and vitamins and their effects on the body. At States, the entire test was pure chemistry, I felt like I had been tricked into taking a Chemistry Lab event. It was absolutely nothing that I prepared for and it barely fit the rules. I was so frustrated, we got 19th when I know I could have medalled if it was an actual Food Science event, I had studied so hard for an event that I didn't even get to take.

And I felt useless in the Remote Sensing test I took at Nats a few years ago because it also didn't follow the rules and was entirely satellites. None of my stuff was on it at all. Even though we medalled, by some miracle, I felt gypped that I didn't even get to take the event I studied for.

Edit: Said "Nationals" when I meant "Regionals". Oops.
Last edited by gneissisnice on May 20th, 2013, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
bwilby

Post by bwilby »

gneissisnice wrote:
bwilby wrote:
That's how I felt about Food Science at States when I was in 11th grade.

The event wasn't run at Nationals, and I had always done well in it the years before. I studied like crazy and learned everything about nutrition and biochemistry, including memorizing all of the amino acids, minerals, and vitamins and their effects on the body. At States, the entire test was pure chemistry, I felt like I had been tricked into taking a Chemistry Lab event. It was absolutely nothing that I prepared for and it barely fit the rules. I was so frustrated, we got 19th when I know I could have medalled if it was an actual Food Science event, I had studied so hard for an event that I didn't even get to take.

And I felt useless in the Remote Sensing test I took at Nats a few years ago because it also didn't follow the rules and was entirely satellites. None of my stuff was on it at all. Even though we medalled, by some miracle, I felt gypped that I didn't even get to take the event I studied for.
And now it's no longer an event, which is the cherry on top.
Harriton High School

Return to “2013 Study Events”