Compute This

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Compute This

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
ZekeBud
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Been thanked: 0

Re: Compute This

Post by ZekeBud »

My absolute disgust for this event cannot be accurately measured by current human means.

However, in advance of the event actually happening, a fine Google searching technique was very helpful to my efforts in the event in the past.

Google Search Operator: Site
When looking for your data (and seeing as you're probably going to be limited to only one .gov location), Google may return many locations that are not within the given usgs.gov domain. To limit your results, do the following:
1. Type in your search material (e.g.: Big Earthquakes)
2. Add "site:usgs.gov" to the end (so you would have: Big Earthquakes site:usgs.gov)
3. Search! Now you're only looking at pages within the usgs.gov area (such as earthquakes.usgs.gov, or whatever you end up with)

This technique is effective both in this event and in real life. I now use it to scour my school's website to find the publications I'm looking for.

Other fun Google searching techniques can be found here: http://www.google.com/help/operators.html. I personally recommend use of a search engine, but your strategy must be formed in your own team.
Last edited by ZekeBud on July 7th, 2008, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camden High School Science Olympiad 2005-2007
Clarkson University Class of 2011
The Ohio State University Chemical Engineering PhD Program
In Words and Phrases
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by sachleen »

ZekeBud, I couldn't agree more. Google will help you out a lot, another thing I did when I did the event was find the answer, or what I thought was the answer on some other site, and then look for that specific answer on the site they give you. be careful not to spend too much time looking for one answer I think time management played a big part of our horribleness at that event :/
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

this event is crazy!!! I was the other person just kinda sitting there. anyone else like me and what did you do? i just made possiblr search quearys and that was it :(
SO stressed!
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by sachleen »

Yep, thats my partner and I. cept we actually tried :P We searched and searched, there was no way anyone could have finished, but some teams did :( I dont see how they got all that data and still managed to do the graphs without knowing some information beforehand..
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by rocketman1555 »

i like the google thing, and i made a website, but i wasn't aloud to use it at state, even though the rules clearly said i could
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

well this one team at state finished the whole thing and got 1st in like 20 minuets so im like :shock: and my partner was like :shock: so together we were like :shock: :shock: i think the whole room was like that :lol:
SO stressed!
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

If you search using google will it come up with better results than using the search function they have on the website?
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

dudeincolorado wrote:well this one team at state finished the whole thing and got 1st in like 20 minuets so im like :shock: and my partner was like :shock: so together we were like :shock: :shock: i think the whole room was like that :lol:
That's just like you dudeincolorado
Pleiades wrote:If you search using google will it come up with better results than using the search function they have on the website?
I'm thinking that you have more options when using google.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
ZekeBud
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by ZekeBud »

Perhaps a portion of my disgust toward this event comes from being a human impound at NY States in 2005. Yes, that's right. Thanks to a bit of snow at West Point (a few inches never hurt anyone, by the way), all people in Compute This, having already seen the problem, were forced to stay in the starting room and wait. What fun to be a human impound for an hour...

Let me tell you, that was worthy of :shock:

However, I would argue that use of an external search engine (like Google) would probably work better than the search feature on a given site, or at least it would be something more applicable to broad solutions. While the USGS (I'm just citing this because it's on the tentative rules) site does have a Google-based search, I tend to prefer using something I'm familiar with.

How should you run things? I'd advise letting a coach or some other friend take a general look at the rules, then let them find some obscure data sets on the final chosen site (preferably something that you can graph, but whatever). Then, go off and try to find what they were looking at. It'll help you learn the skills needed to find stuff, but also force you to become comfortable with whichever search engine you like. It's a good way to practice for the event and to find some sort of comfort.
Camden High School Science Olympiad 2005-2007
Clarkson University Class of 2011
The Ohio State University Chemical Engineering PhD Program
In Words and Phrases

Return to “2009 Lab Events”