Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by mnstrviola »

Wow. Science scares me. In our generation, things like genetic engineering on animals and even people are bound to become a thing... and probably one of the most controversial topics in our history. Manipulating DNA... do you guys think it's ethical? I mean, curing diseases would be great, but it's a slippery slope... what if someone wanted their baby to have blue eyes instead of brown? What if they wanted their baby to be faster... stronger?

I've always viewed myself and well, our generation as being very progressive, but this is one thing I'd be really hesitant and old-fashioned about...
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

mnstrviola wrote:Wow. Science scares me. In our generation, things like genetic engineering on animals and even people are bound to become a thing... and probably one of the most controversial topics in our history. Manipulating DNA... do you guys think it's ethical? I mean, curing diseases would be great, but it's a slippery slope... what if someone wanted their baby to have blue eyes instead of brown? What if they wanted their baby to be faster... stronger?

I've always viewed myself and well, our generation as being very progressive, but this is one thing I'd be really hesitant and old-fashioned about...
Them darn kids and their air-breathing fishes! In my day they all breathed water like they should!
EDIT: Typo.
Last edited by Cedavis6 on May 24th, 2013, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

paleonaps wrote:I just changed my division from C to Grad... I can't believe it's over.
them feelz T_T man oh man what a journey it's been.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

We just had our end of the year gathering for SciOly, it was a lot of fun but it's soooo sad to see all these people go :(
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

Just got the entire collection of FL Baum's Oz books on my Nook for less than $1!
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

the year is ending it's so sad

oh wait we still have nearly three weeks

:|
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

LOL, Dr. Doofenshmirtz synced up to Taylor Swift's "Trouble".
ThePrudentGuava
Division: C
State: OK

Post by ThePrudentGuava »

mnstrviola wrote:Wow. Science scares me. In our generation, things like genetic engineering on animals and even people are bound to become a thing... and probably one of the most controversial topics in our history. Manipulating DNA... do you guys think it's ethical? I mean, curing diseases would be great, but it's a slippery slope... what if someone wanted their baby to have blue eyes instead of brown? What if they wanted their baby to be faster... stronger?

I think that people are being slow about genetic experimentation mostly because of the inherent ethical qualms with it. I was watching Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman on Science Channel and they were talking about this. It goes farther in depth than I ever could. You should watch it. Bioethics is a fascinating field of study.

What do you think?
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders
frogzorz
State: PA

Post by frogzorz »

Yeah, there's a ton of controversy about the ethics of germ-line (sperm, egg) gene therapy. I really don't think it's such a great idea because once everyone becomes stronger, the perception of greatness is set to such a high standard that a feat that we would consider amazing would be pretty much average. If everyone becomes healthier, the world becomes too populated and we have to either find an alternative way to have ground to live on or die off due to overpopulation. Just my two cents.

On another note, I finished my last AP test today...now it's just the SAT subject test and waiting for my scores to come out in July :cry:
Harriton '15, Penn C'19
Design Manager and Disease Detectives co-supervisor for SOUP 2018
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

Ugh. Wisdom teeth out AND a cold.

Return to “General Chat”