Helicopters B

erikb
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helicopters B

Post by erikb »

PHXcoach wrote:I agree with ericb that anything that can be done to request an amenable environment for helicopters would be good - maybe a list of desirable / undesirable features (flat ceilings with few obstructions, at least 16' x 16' area per flight, ability to launch 2 non-interfering flights at the same time using multiple areas or a larger area) , and examples of locations that have worked well in the past. The use of the racquetball courts this year was a relief after seeing some of the states working in gyms with unforgiving ceilings.
My comments were specific to that site.

I know the event staff will do their best to get a good place for helicopters. I was just making sure they remember how horrible that ceiling was. Because the event staff changes from year to year and the ones that remember may not be the ones negotiating the site this time.
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Now we have to separate event staff. For the national event supervisors on the flying events there is a lot of continuity and there is pretty good memory on sites we've used over the past 10-15 years. If you don't like it likely we didn't like it. And likely we've exerted what influence we can to get better sites.

Example, Robot Arm this year. I was lucky to get to participate in the Wright State Invitational this year and get a good look at the nationals room. It had a very uneven ceiling and was I thought a little low for what I expected from top SO teams. I asked for something higher, or more even ceiling as high, wasn't available. So, you may have noticed tape marking where the play fields were. I spent about half an hour Saturday morning checking the ceiling so each field had the same ceiling features, height and profile to the nearest half cm as the other so if teams could get to the ceiling they'd have the same surface from field to field.

And knowing the Helicopters ES's preference, I suspect he is already campaigning for racquet ball courts or smooth ceilings.

If you want more change you need to talk to folks who don't frequent this board. Politely of course. The core National SO staff who has frequent contact with the host site. The Tournament team at the site. Etc. I think UCF already has their tournament site up.

Note, there are often good reasons why they give us less than ideal sites, so don't get upset if you don't succeed. We'll make the best use of them we can and make them as fair as we can.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

I have strongly expressed a desire for a racquetball court at UCF. The organizing committee is well aware of the need for a smooth ceiling. Unfortunately, the only courts on campus there are completely off-limits to SO. I'm hoping for a compromise of some sort that will give us a better site, but in the worst case scenario, having teams launch in the connected hallway with a smooth ceiling was a decent solution. For what it's worth, the team that won nationals last year launched in that hallway (although their helicopter drifted out during the flight.)
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
erikb

Post by erikb »

chalker7 wrote:Unfortunately, the only courts on campus there are completely off-limits to SO.
Does that include the basketball courts on the second floor?
chalker7 wrote:the connected hallway with a smooth ceiling was a decent solution. For what it's worth, the team that won nationals last year launched in that hallway (although their helicopter drifted out during the flight.)
Yes that was a fair solution. I think if it was advertised a month in advance then it would have received a warmer welcome last year.
--
chalker7

Post by chalker7 »

erikb wrote:
chalker7 wrote:Unfortunately, the only courts on campus there are completely off-limits to SO.
Does that include the basketball courts on the second floor?
chalker7 wrote:the connected hallway with a smooth ceiling was a decent solution. For what it's worth, the team that won nationals last year launched in that hallway (although their helicopter drifted out during the flight.)
Yes that was a fair solution. I think if it was advertised a month in advance then it would have received a warmer welcome last year.
Sorry, only racquetball courts. We're looking into other options.
Hawaii State Director
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

The FL state event was held at UCF again. Glider, Chopper, Mousetrap and Gravity were held in the education gym. While not perfect, it is better than where they held the 2012 National Event. Not quite as high, but fewer overhead obstructions. I say that even tho our first team lost their best chopper in them.

From what I have seen, the optimum site for chopper and glider is the foyer to the arena. It is high, good ceiling, quite large and normally not used. Doors can be limited to 1 to limit the drafts. Stairwells can be taped off to keep people out of some areas. Bathroom facilities are easy access on the same floor. They said that they could not have it for this year's state event, but it would be great. It would require portable bleachers for the audience. Please beg.
erikb

Post by erikb »

The reason I asked for the basketball courts on either end of the volleyball gym is that they had acoustic tile ceilings and were more than high enough

The reason I object to the volleyball gym is the trusses are a monster waiting to catch helicopters

Now, for gliders it is a different story. Demonstrating the best way to take advantage of the ceiling by knowledge of trimming is an important piece for gliders. The team that can best get their gliders to take advantage of the obstacles is the one that knows the most about their glider

Next, different ceiling heights require different gliders. The ceiling at UFC is at least 15 feet higher. That puts it at the upper edge of what the flapper design can do. If it is 50 feet or more then a different type of glider then the ones that won this year will need to be used.

Finally, you complained about year to year advantage in the glider thread. If you keep the ceilings about the same height, next year the winning teams will be a far ahead of everyone else.
--
retired1

Post by retired1 »

Are you referring to UCF or where? If UCF, which building are you calling the volleyball court?
chalker7

Post by chalker7 »

retired1 wrote:Are you referring to UCF or where? If UCF, which building are you calling the volleyball court?
Yes, Helicopters was held in "The Venue" at UCF last year, which in actuality is a very large volleyball gym. I do not know the precise details for next year yet.
Hawaii State Director
retired1

Post by retired1 »

[quote="erikb"]The reason I asked for the basketball courts on either end of the volleyball gym is that they had acoustic tile ceilings and were more than high enough

I am not aware of that basketball gym. They certainly will not let us use the arena gym.

I am not sure, but I would guess that the venue rafters were about 35'

Return to “Helicopters B”