Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Luo »

scio444 wrote:Who placed this year?
From 1st through 6th:
Division B: Daniel Wright JHS, Muscatel MS, Dodgen MS, Eagle Hill MS, Paul J. Gelinas MS, Piedmont MS
Division C: Camas HS, Seven Lakes HS, Centerville HS, Ladue Horton Watkins HS, Solon HS, Troy HS
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
scio444
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by scio444 »

For those who took Division B at nationals, how do you feel about the time delay? Was it fair?
CaRoLyN_s
Division: B
State: MD

Post by CaRoLyN_s »

scio444 wrote:For those who took Division B at nationals, how do you feel about the time delay? Was it fair?
ehhh, b/c everyone had to deal with it, it wasn't really BAD, but i feel like i could have done a lot better on the test with 5 minutes of extra time
2014 Events:
Disease Detectives
Sounds of Music
Meteorology
Simple Machines
honeybunchesofoats
State: CA

Post by honeybunchesofoats »

Honestly, I feel like we did a lot better because of the time delay, so it was kind of unfair in that respect.
havenguy
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

honeybunchesofoats wrote:Honestly, I feel like we did a lot better because of the time delay, so it was kind of unfair in that respect.
We did worse...we don't split up the test, so we got through about 51 out of 60 questions. With 10 extra minutes, we would almost certainly have finished. A shorter time span wouldn't have been as bad if we each did 30 questions, but oh well.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
CaRoLyN_s

Post by CaRoLyN_s »

honeybunchesofoats wrote:Honestly, I feel like we did a lot better because of the time delay, so it was kind of unfair in that respect.
What did you get?
2014 Events:
Disease Detectives
Sounds of Music
Meteorology
Simple Machines
ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

I thought the time screwed us up, but we could have prepared for it more. We didn't answer some questions. Anyways, did anyone see JC Booth get DQed or what 61th place is in Disease Detectives. I'm pretty sure they were in that room.

EDIT: Oh wait, it looks like the score sheet is fixed now and apparently JC Booth and Dogden are both 12th place even though Booth has a smaller score.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
senyab
State: MA

Post by senyab »

CaRoLyN_s wrote:
scio444 wrote:For those who took Division B at nationals, how do you feel about the time delay? Was it fair?
ehhh, b/c everyone had to deal with it, it wasn't really BAD, but i feel like i could have done a lot better on the test with 5 minutes of extra time
Yea, that time delay was my fault... I was *that* kid
Still managed to get 8th though
-----
2011-2012 Events
Bottle Rockets--States 1st/Nationals 22nd
Disease Detectives--States 2nd/Nationals 35th
Food Science--States 2nd/Nationals 8th

2012-2013 Events
Anatomy--States 1st/Nationals 34th
Disease Detectives--States 1st/Nationals 8th
Food Science--States 1st/Nationals 2nd
CaRoLyN_s

Post by CaRoLyN_s »

nice! we got really messed up in the odds ratio part, so we got 14th, but still, i'm happy. :D
2014 Events:
Disease Detectives
Sounds of Music
Meteorology
Simple Machines
GrayEpi
State: GA

Post by GrayEpi »

I just finished the winners tour of CDC for the 2013 team - my colleagues here at CDC were all impressed by the two winners. I am part of the team that develops the national events for Disease Detectives. I think you can count on the national continuing to emphasize critical thinking - at least as long as I have anything to do with it. That is what DD is all about. There will always be some of the basics - e.g. what study design did they use, what do they call the above graph of cases over time... because we want everybody to go home with at least some points. However we figure by the time y'all get to nationals you should have that down pretty well and we use the critical thinking questions to separate the real contenders from the pack. As for 2X2 tables - usually, but not always, you should be able to find the numbers in the text or calculate them fairly easily at the Division B level. At the Division C level, you will often have to calculate them and the calculations may not always be obvious. You may need to select the right numbers out of a collection (hint: pay attention to what we are asking for - the risk of X compared to Y - make sure you pick the correct X and Y). You may even need to calculate the numbers used to calculate the numbers in the table. I've worked on every national event except the one for the Augusta tournament. They have gotten progressively more difficult over the years. You folks are doing great at this. Stick with it. Epi is one of those things that does not make much sense at first, then the lights start to come on. I did not really get it until I started investigating outbreaks on my own. The first time I thought "Huh???", the second time I thought "Uh huh.", the third time was "Oh yeah!!!". I am still amazed at how well this stuff works. Constantly be thinking about how your methods may have influenced your results cause they sure do. Good luck. I just joined this forum. I plan on spending most of my time as a lurker but feel free to call on me if y'all get stuck. I'll try to help if I can. There are some exciting rule changes coming up for 2013.

Return to “2013 Study Events”