haverstall
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Future Tournament Sites

Post by haverstall »

Luo wrote:
XJcwolfyX wrote:2016 should be held in Madison again. Out of all the National Award Ceremonies I've been too, that one was hands-down the best and most entertaining. Also, the campus is really new and beautiful. And, to put the icing on the cake, it is located in the center of the country.
Agreed, I think it will be tough for any tournament in the near future to match or exceed the all-around greatness of the 2011 tournament in Madison.
Not to be a downer, but I do remember the coordinators saying that the entire process of getting the tournament to Madison took around 10 years. Unlikely that the tournament would go back so soon. BUT, Madison was really awesome, except I missed the tech thing on Friday afternoon.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

haverstall wrote:Not to be a downer, but I do remember the coordinators saying that the entire process of getting the tournament to Madison took around 10 years. Unlikely that the tournament would go back so soon. BUT, Madison was really awesome, except I missed the tech thing on Friday afternoon.
Additionally, I believe I remember reading that they were originally slated to host the tournament in 2010, but it got pushed back a year so they could finish the construction of the new student union (which served as tournament headquarters).
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
XJcwolfyX
Division: C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

It would be amazing if it was held in the same place as 1999 - University and Museums of Chicago. Sounds like so much fun! ^-^
Medal Counter: 73
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Personally, I'd like a tournament to be in Cali. Sun, beaches, and plus, really cool science places. Preferably Caltech. Y'know, tour the place a few years before I go there, since it's like my dream college (well, Caltech along with MIT).
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
ali941
Division: C
State: CA

Post by ali941 »

Yes, come to California, so those of us spoiled by perfect Cali weather don't have to put up with whatever Mother Nature thinks of outside Cali. Plus, you can all experience perfect weather. We're soo spoiled. :D
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

Wright State has to hold another tournament in the future. Of the three nationals I've been to (UIUC '10, UCF '12, & Wright State '13), Wright State was the best. I loved the accommodations given to us in the dorms. The WiFi and the refrigerator was something the other two dorms lacked...but then again the dorms aren't exactly everything. I thought the tournament quality was better than at UIUC & UCF, things were run smoothly, the SIGNS AROUND CAMPUS...I thought the event quality also outshined that at UIUC & UCF, but that's just my opinion (I can't remember the other two well, but I do know that the tests at Wright State really struck me as high-quality, and the tests at the other two tournaments weren't as good). The experience at the awards ceremony was incredibly surreal (the soundtracks were amazing! Also, is there any way I could get that video you played at the beginning-the "What does it take?" video??? :mrgreen: )

Kudos to the Chalkers and to Wright State for an outstanding tournament!
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

Ah I see you missed 2011 in Madison, that was also a spectacularly well-run tournament. I agree though that Wright State was so much better than Central Florida in 2012. And it looks like Wright State is indeed planning to host another invitational next year, at least according to the Ohio 2013-2014 invitational tournament list: http://www.ced.osu.edu/scioly/2013-14_i ... aments.pdf
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

Ugh. Don't remind me...we missed out on that tournament by 1 POINT!

Our Storm the Castle got 6th because the idiots who ran it (our state tournament that year was...less than ideal. Check the Indiana 2011 archived thread, I think you'll get a good number of complaints) decided to run all the devices in a location with a ceiling height lower than the minimum height specified in the rules. As a result our projectile hit the ceiling and we didn't do too well. If it was done correctly, our Storm would've placed in the top 3...

But yeah, I can't speak for those who've gone to Madison.

Wait, really? I thought this year was a last "test run" for them, before nationals...
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Crazy Puny Man wrote: Also, is there any way I could get that video you played at the beginning-the "What does it take?" video??? :mrgreen: )
You can see it on the youtube stream of the ceremony. Unfortunately we didn't buy (nor can afford) the actual copyright to the video.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2013 Nationals”