Scioly Summer Study Session 2013

asdfqwerzzz2
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2013

Post by asdfqwerzzz2 »

foreverphysics wrote:The summerscioly email has been working for all the others. Please PM me with details of your problems, and I will find the best way to deal with this.

Thanks!
I looked further backed in the thread and decided to do what you suggested. I used dropbox to upload my notes and then sent you the URL
Sorry for freaking out :D
inthewoods
State: CO

Post by inthewoods »

From reading all the posts it appears anyone can submit tests/notes for this project. Is this true? One of our coaches tried and received a rejection note saying We’re sorry to inform you that you have not been accepted to participate in the summer project. But don’t despair! There is a very good chance we may need your services as an alternate in case someone backs out. So, stay tuned…"

Is this an error?
fozendog
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

That is probably for the other summer project where we make videos. This one is where you submit tests or notes to get access to a test/note bank.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

inthewoods wrote:From reading all the posts it appears anyone can submit tests/notes for this project. Is this true? One of our coaches tried and received a rejection note saying We’re sorry to inform you that you have not been accepted to participate in the summer project. But don’t despair! There is a very good chance we may need your services as an alternate in case someone backs out. So, stay tuned…"

Is this an error?
Yes, this is for the other summer project. The Scioly Summer Study Session will accept tests/notes from anyone :)
asdfqwerzzz2

Post by asdfqwerzzz2 »

Where can we find the answer key/solution for the tests? Have those been posted yet?
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

The keys will be posted with the end of SSSS, on August 1.
BlackBeauty
State: IN

Post by BlackBeauty »

I'm really excited about this!!! Having a summer study session was an awesome idea! Great job to whoever thought of it :)
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

BlackBeauty wrote:Great job to whoever thought of it :)
Now that you mention it, I can't help but give a short history of the making of SSSS.

In late February of 2012, our esteemed member tornado guy thought, "hey, why not have Science Olympiad during the summer too?" This idea had been floating around for a while, but he was the first to act upon it. Being one of the people closest to him on the forums, he approached me with the idea, and we then extended the idea to mnstrviola. The three of us slaved okay, maybe just worked hard on a set of draft rules and other logistics for months. Back then, this was called "SOST" (Science Olympiad Summer Tournament). Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, this initial idea was harshly shot down in late May by our most esteemed admin, robotman. That was that for last year.

In January of this year, my beloved cohead mnstrviola approached me again with the idea of making a summer Science Olympiad happen. I, of course, thought this a wonderful idea, and immediately dug up those age-old documents from the previous year. tornado guy, sadly, had vanished from the boards by this time and we could not enlist him again, though this was still originally his idea.

Now, during this time, several things happened that made this more possible than last year.
1) We fixed what they didn't like about the idea.
2) I got several important people liking the idea and backing me up.
3) Every single possible issue was covered--lotsa logistics there...
4) I became a staff member.

With the help of a few others, namely syo_astro and Unbihexium, we were able to draw up a lot of draft rules that eventually were streamlined down to those that you see today. We renamed the project SSSS, causing a lot of "sssss" head-scratching. robotman opened a server extension, and we got the rest of the staff in on it. Moderators were found, excitement was thorough, and it was generally regarded as an excellent idea. It was passed, and it was slated to begin on June 1st, 2013.

Thus SSSS began.

(mnstr, you're welcome to add to this)
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
aim4me26

Post by aim4me26 »

foreverphysics wrote: my beloved cohead mnstrviola
otp
i know that i should be in bed
and its almost 3 am
but when i close my eyes i can only see miles of headlights
fleshing out the distance
mnstrviola

Post by mnstrviola »

aim4me26 wrote:
foreverphysics wrote: my beloved cohead mnstrviola
otp
can you not? :L :| :L

But yep, SSSS has come a many ways far, and it's like a dream come true to have it as an actual, happening thing that exists!!! As we began working on it many months ago, my memory is very blurry (Feb 2012 sounds right), even as to how it was thought of. What I do know is that it took a lot of tweaking and help from many people to get it started. Though forever, tornado and I were the original people who worked on this, many more from the community played an integral role in SSSS's creation, including everyone who's sent in tests/notes! We couldn't have made this happen without you guys :3

For those of you who want to be a part of SSSS, it's also still not too late to submit your resources!

Return to “SSSS & SEC”