Chem Lab C

Mathc314
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by Mathc314 »

Actually, no. The clarification states that (and I will quote directly from their official response) "Each student may bring one 8.5" x 11" two-sided page of notes which means that if 2 students compete as a team, the team may have two 8.5" x 11" two-sided page of notes."
I just want to let everyone know about this clarification, even though they have not posted it online, so that you guys won't have to cram everything onto one page if that is what you are doing, and so I won't be the only team at nationals with two pages awkwardly trying to defend myself... :)
"The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." -Abe Lincoln
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Huh. It does appear that way. Well then, I guess go ahead with your two sheets, although my personal opinion is that Chem Lab shouldn't really allow ANY note sheets, haha.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
XXGeneration
State: NJ

Post by XXGeneration »

That was honestly one of the beat Chem Lab tests I've taken ever (nationals).
Wanttoget1st
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Wanttoget1st »

Does anyone know what they mean by Chem Reactions as one of the subtopics for Chem Lab? They said equilibrium and chem reactions/stoichiometry as the sub-topics for this year. Do they mean single&double replacement, Combustion, Decomposition, Aqueous, Solvent, etc. types of reactions? Thanks!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I think by that they just mean understanding how chemical reactions work, and how to use stoichiometry to perform calculations relating to those reactions. Knowing the types of reactions would also be helpful to know, but that's probably not quite as important. Basically, though, anything that could be considered basic chemistry is testable, as all other topics build off of that.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
appleguru98
State: GA

Post by appleguru98 »

By them saying equilibrium and chem reactions/stoich for 2014, is it going to be similar to the equilibrium questions in last year's Chem Lab?
Kennesaw Mountain High School, Junior
2013 Regional: 5th Rocks and Minerals, 12th Designer Genes
2014 Regional: 7th Rocks and Minerals, 12th MagLev, 5th Materials Science
2015 Regional State: 4th Air Trajectory, 4th Chem Lab, Protein Modeling, Wright Stuff
Wanttoget1st
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Wanttoget1st »

i would think so...

in addition, for stoichiometry, do you guys think that gas stoichiometry is testable? ...and are limiting reagents/reactants considered stoichiometry??
cytokid101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by cytokid101 »

Gas stoich and limiting reagents are both undoubtedly fair game for next year.
Whoppers
State: TX

Post by Whoppers »

As an incoming freshman who will be the one taking up Chem Lab because I'm going to a new high school that will only have 9th and 10th graders, is there any advice you could give me? Where to start studying?
appleguru98
State: GA

Post by appleguru98 »

I'm a rising Sophomore and by looking at the rules from past years, I would recommend that you take a Chem class first. But since you want to do it this year, basic stoichiometry is found in Chem 1 classes with some more advanced content in AP Chem. In my Chem class last year, we didn't learn any equilibrium, so I would assume that's AP Chem content. You could probably Google all the information if you want to do it that way, but try to ask the Chemistry teacher at your school if you have one. My Chemistry teacher was amazing last year and she will definitely help me this year because I haven't learned equilibrium yet.
Kennesaw Mountain High School, Junior
2013 Regional: 5th Rocks and Minerals, 12th Designer Genes
2014 Regional: 7th Rocks and Minerals, 12th MagLev, 5th Materials Science
2015 Regional State: 4th Air Trajectory, 4th Chem Lab, Protein Modeling, Wright Stuff

Return to “2013 Lab Events”