Sounds of Music B

ali941
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by ali941 »

ScienceOlympian wrote:Could I use recorder (recorder flute) fingerings for a PVC/Bamboo flute? They both have open holes with no key mechanism.
Even though the notes won't be the same, couldn't the fingerings make flats and sharps? Just curious.
One other thing: I was researching and I found out that PVC can be dangerous for your health. Is it safe to make an instrument out of PVC pipe? Is CPVC pipe any safer? Copper pipe is expensive, so I can't use that.
Ugh... Making me go back through my books. Scratch that, can't find my books.

Recorder fingerings as in German, English, or what? Either way, the answer is I have no clue. I didn't even use normal flute fingerings. My partner was the one who found the precise way to drill the holes, and I'm not sure what he did. However, we used the most simplistic fingering I think exists. Basically, your fingers should be moving up and down in order. No weird 'cover this hole, skip that one, and cover the rest' type of thing. C was all holes, D was all except the last one, etc. Sorry for the weird explanation.

I believe someone already mentioned concerns about PVC pipe on the forums. I'll go hunt it up.
chalker wrote:go to a home improvement store and look in the plumbing aisle. See all that PVC pipe? Much of it is designed / used for carrying water to various taps / faucets in your house (ignore the septic stuff obviously). If it's safe enough for the water in your house to be sitting in for hours on end and then you drinking it, it's safe enough for you to put your mouth on for a couple minutes.
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by ScienceOlympian »

ali941 wrote:
ScienceOlympian wrote:Could I use recorder (recorder flute) fingerings for a PVC/Bamboo flute? They both have open holes with no key mechanism.
Even though the notes won't be the same, couldn't the fingerings make flats and sharps? Just curious.
One other thing: I was researching and I found out that PVC can be dangerous for your health. Is it safe to make an instrument out of PVC pipe? Is CPVC pipe any safer? Copper pipe is expensive, so I can't use that.
Ugh... Making me go back through my books. Scratch that, can't find my books.

Recorder fingerings as in German, English, or what? Either way, the answer is I have no clue. I didn't even use normal flute fingerings. My partner was the one who found the precise way to drill the holes, and I'm not sure what he did. However, we used the most simplistic fingering I think exists. Basically, your fingers should be moving up and down in order. No weird 'cover this hole, skip that one, and cover the rest' type of thing. C was all holes, D was all except the last one, etc. Sorry for the weird explanation.

I believe someone already mentioned concerns about PVC pipe on the forums. I'll go hunt it up.
chalker wrote:go to a home improvement store and look in the plumbing aisle. See all that PVC pipe? Much of it is designed / used for carrying water to various taps / faucets in your house (ignore the septic stuff obviously). If it's safe enough for the water in your house to be sitting in for hours on end and then you drinking it, it's safe enough for you to put your mouth on for a couple minutes.
Thanks!
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
ali941

Post by ali941 »

You're very welcome. Let me know if you need more help with that.
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Check both recorder and fife fingering charts. Getting a chromatic scale is totally possible on a keyless flute (and you CAN make keys...). A combination of decent hole placement on your flute and lipping the notes up or down should get you a decent chromatic scale. My daughter made a PVC flute for SOM in 2011 and was able to get out a nice scale, though some notes never were quite right. For 2012, instead of remaking the flute to fix some nitpicky issues, she chose to make a ukulele which had a more stable scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKnElN9c9po is not a great peformance (and the video doesn't pick up the nice sound of the "floorimba," a marimba made of scrap hardwood floor pieces -- free wood!) but shows that the flute is capable of a more-than-diatonic scale. You'll hear a couple of flat high notes, but she learned to roll out to sharpen them some.

Yes, bassoons DO rock!
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by ScienceOlympian »

hscmom wrote:Check both recorder and fife fingering charts. Getting a chromatic scale is totally possible on a keyless flute (and you CAN make keys...). A combination of decent hole placement on your flute and lipping the notes up or down should get you a decent chromatic scale. My daughter made a PVC flute for SOM in 2011 and was able to get out a nice scale, though some notes never were quite right. For 2012, instead of remaking the flute to fix some nitpicky issues, she chose to make a ukulele which had a more stable scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKnElN9c9po is not a great peformance (and the video doesn't pick up the nice sound of the "floorimba," a marimba made of scrap hardwood floor pieces -- free wood!) but shows that the flute is capable of a more-than-diatonic scale. You'll hear a couple of flat high notes, but she learned to roll out to sharpen them some.

Yes, bassoons DO rock!
Thank you so much!
I know, bassoon are the best.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
crazyfloboe
State: TX

Post by crazyfloboe »

ScienceOlympian wrote:I'm trying to plan for next year, and I can't find any chromatic PVC or bamboo flute plans online.
All of the plans are for diatonic flutes. Is there any way that I can make a diatonic flute play a flat or sharp using half-holes?
Is there any other way to make a diatonic flute?
I had a fife this year. Honestly, what I did was a Bamboo fife. I didn't fire it though. I pretty much modeled it after a C scale fife I got at a Renaissance festival and was able to pump out two octaves. And if you covered half the hole was able to make a sharp/flat come out. Over all I really liked the sound and it played fairly well.
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3

Return to “2013 Build Events”