Water Quality B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Water Quality B/C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by caseyotis »

Okay - this is my first time doing Div. C for Water Quality. Does anyone know where I should start studying to get decent information that was not from Div. B? Of course, anything is fine regardless of what division it's from. This event is pretty open-ended.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

The rules are essentially the same for both divisions. Anything that you used for B will work fine for C.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

There's surely a difficulty level difference between the two divisions though, right? I certainly didn't know everything on the states test last year, although I studied everything on the Water Quality disk. This event seems very open-ended. I just need someplace to learn more. If that makes sense.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

It's truly a huge event. You need to know properties of water, the current bug list (not released yet...), ecosystems, pollution, water treatment. Plenty to start with even before rules come out.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

caseyotis wrote:There's surely a difficulty level difference between the two divisions though, right? I certainly didn't know everything on the states test last year, although I studied everything on the Water Quality disk. This event seems very open-ended. I just need someplace to learn more. If that makes sense.
WQ is a low(er) scoring event, so I'm sure, somewhere, someone gives the same test to both divisions and still receives a nice distribution of scores. That said, when writing a C test versus a B test on the same material, questions that involve higher-order thinking can be used (more often). In other words, work towards a goal of a higher level of understanding of the material as opposed to just rote memorization. It's an art, not a science, really (did I really just say that on the science nerd forums?). Take a look at some of the C WQ tests on the Test Exchange. If memory serves me, there's at least one that I'd consider difficult enough that would not be appropriate at the B level. I wanna say it was a MC test. Go seek that out, be awestruck at what you don't know, and use that to frame your studying.
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

Skink wrote:
caseyotis wrote:There's surely a difficulty level difference between the two divisions though, right? I certainly didn't know everything on the states test last year, although I studied everything on the Water Quality disk. This event seems very open-ended. I just need someplace to learn more. If that makes sense.
WQ is a low(er) scoring event, so I'm sure, somewhere, someone gives the same test to both divisions and still receives a nice distribution of scores. That said, when writing a C test versus a B test on the same material, questions that involve higher-order thinking can be used (more often). In other words, work towards a goal of a higher level of understanding of the material as opposed to just rote memorization. It's an art, not a science, really (did I really just say that on the science nerd forums?). Take a look at some of the C WQ tests on the Test Exchange. If memory serves me, there's at least one that I'd consider difficult enough that would not be appropriate at the B level. I wanna say it was a MC test. Go seek that out, be awestruck at what you don't know, and use that to frame your studying.
Thank you! This is very helpful.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
Bigtonyz
State: IN

Post by Bigtonyz »

Does anyone know what the rules mean by "community interactions" and "population dynamics". I am in Div C this year and I was in B for the past two years. Last year my partner and I just kind of ignored it and we were basically fine, but I feel like for my team's tryouts this is something I should know. Is it just like symbiotic and stuff or more like general?
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

Bigtonyz wrote:Does anyone know what the rules mean by "community interactions" and "population dynamics". I am in Div C this year and I was in B for the past two years. Last year my partner and I just kind of ignored it and we were basically fine, but I feel like for my team's tryouts this is something I should know. Is it just like symbiotic and stuff or more like general?
I'm pretty sure that community interactions mean things like symbiosis, but there's probably more to that. Have you looked at the training power point on soinc.org?
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
Nerd95
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by Nerd95 »

caseyotis wrote:
Skink wrote:
Thank you! This is very helpful.
Hi,

I think the test in reference is the Kearney 2013 Invitational Test. It's a VERY challenging but also very good exam. Most of the questions on that test are difficult--don't be deceived because they are multiple choice. Give the test a try and then check your answers. If there is a question that you don't understand the answer to, post here and I (or somebody else) can try and help! It's a great test and worth taking.
Event Supervisor (Mass & Missouri)
__
PAST EVENTS
'13: Water Qual, Shock Val (B coach)
'12: Water Qual (B coach)
'11: Dyn Planet, Ecol (B coach, C)
'10: Ecol (C)
'09: Ecol, Bio-Proc, Ex Design, Env Chem (B)
'08: Ecol, Bio-Proc, Scrambler, Meteorology (B)
'07: Awesome Aquifer, Bugs (B)

Return to “2014 Study Events”