Can't Judge A Powder B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Can't Judge A Powder B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
silverheart7
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Can't Judge A Powder B

Post by silverheart7 »

I looked at the wiki today. Is the list of observations given there the best way to format your personal observations during competition? Or is there a more concise way?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

The general goal of the event is to make as many detailed observations as possible during the time you have to observe.
The best method to do so is a lot of practice, and to create a method that you follow each time you test a powder, and to never vary that pattern once you get it down. The list on the wiki is a good place to start, it has what you need for most tests. My suggestion is to just practice as much as possible, and determine a method that works best for you. Just remember that concise is not always best for CJAP, make sure you get all the information down in a way that you can use it to prove your responses to the questions.
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
jma
Division: B

Post by jma »

Where can I buy NaOh & HCL? Thanks
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

jma wrote:Where can I buy NaOh & HCL? Thanks
You can always go to one of the big online science suppliers, such as Fisher Scientific (http://www.fishersci.com). However most common chemicals are available in local stores, just sold under different names. Check out: http://www.csun.edu/science/ref/equipme ... common.htm

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
jma

Post by jma »

chalker wrote:
jma wrote:Where can I buy NaOh & HCL? Thanks
You can always go to one of the big online science suppliers, such as Fisher Scientific (http://www.fishersci.com). However most common chemicals are available in local stores, just sold under different names. Check out: http://www.csun.edu/science/ref/equipme ... common.htm
Thanks again!
siri

Chemicals

Post by siri »

Where can we buy chemicals(salts/powders) for testing? What salts are usually used? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
hpfananu
Division: C

Re: Chemicals

Post by hpfananu »

siri wrote:Where can we buy chemicals(salts/powders) for testing? What salts are usually used? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
They can give you any powder really. Sometimes, they could give NaCl but usually they just give some copper containing compound because the color isn't white. You can practice with anything really; sugar, baking powder, cornstarch, or any other powder that you can find in your house. Also, for practicing with chemicals, you can use any liquid-like substance in your house. We used soap or Pine-Sol on more than one occasion and it makes for great practice.
Materials Science|Water Quality|Disease Detectives
Sleep is for the Weak: SLHS SO 2012-2013
TAMS 2013-2014
silverheart7
State: NY

Re: Chemicals

Post by silverheart7 »

siri wrote:Where can we buy chemicals(salts/powders) for testing? What salts are usually used? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
There is a store afiliated with Science Olympiad that sells powders for Crime and Can't Judge. Check soinc for the link?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
Katkatkat
State: WA

Post by Katkatkat »

Can someone please tell me the strength of the sodiumhydroxide solution? I found a local store, but I need to know the percentage.

Return to “2014 Lab Events”