Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

A little bit of topic, but this is one of my favorite quotes ever:

"If all the books and papers that have been written about glaciers were piled into a huge mound it would be of such proportions that the items at the bottoms would be compressed and deform under the weight of the great mass above"

The best part is, it is completely true.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:and papers
It sounds to me like you use Google Scholar too :shock: (by "too" I mean in addition to your books)
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

No, that quote was just from a book I was reading. I do know there are a ton of papers out there though, most above my comprehension.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
Mathdino
Division: C
State: NV

Post by Mathdino »

Hey, DP newbie here. The local library has tons of amazing resources, especially textbooks, and I'll be going down there for the next week or so finding good textbooks for studying (also this is Nevada, which is obsessed with mining, so lots of geology info). Do you guys have any recommendations as to any books, websites, papers, etc to look out for? The wiki's great and all but I don't want to just use that.
"If, in other sciences, we are to arrive at certainty without doubt, and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics."
-Roger Bacon, The Opus Major of Roger Bacon
christafro
State: NC

Post by christafro »

Mathdino wrote:Hey, DP newbie here. The local library has tons of amazing resources, especially textbooks, and I'll be going down there for the next week or so finding good textbooks for studying (also this is Nevada, which is obsessed with mining, so lots of geology info). Do you guys have any recommendations as to any books, websites, papers, etc to look out for? The wiki's great and all but I don't want to just use that.
I have been doing Dynamic Planet for 5 years now. I've found that the best resources for me were online textbooks. Unfortunately, a lot of the ones that I've found you have to buy. Luckily, I found a couple of pdf's online of glacer textbooks that were amazing. I had actually used one of them as my cheat sheets, and I ended placing 3rd at states :D . Good luck!
christafro
State: NC

Post by christafro »

Does anyone know how a pool of water can form in a glacier if there are no crevasses or streams from the outside to feed the water? There was a question on the state test last year, and I didn't know what the answer was. I've looked everywhere for an answer, but I can't find anything.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

christafro wrote:Does anyone know how a pool of water can form in a glacier if there are no crevasses or streams from the outside to feed the water? There was a question on the state test last year, and I didn't know what the answer was. I've looked everywhere for an answer, but I can't find anything.
This is way outside my areas of expertise, but I would guess they are talking about melt ponds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melt_pond

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
rab 666

Post by rab 666 »

Hi, newbie here to DP :D Wondering if anyone could give some suggestions as to what to study and what books/websites/other resources would be useful? Thanks so much~
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

As always, I suggest starting on the Dynamic Planet Wiki. There's a lot of great stuff on there as well as links to other external resources that you can use as well. For tests, check out our Dynamic Planet Test Exchange 2014.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
FlyingMonkey85
Division: B
State: NY

Post by FlyingMonkey85 »

christafro wrote:Does anyone know how a pool of water can form in a glacier if there are no crevasses or streams from the outside to feed the water? There was a question on the state test last year, and I didn't know what the answer was. I've looked everywhere for an answer, but I can't find anything.
I believe that this is possible due to the intense pressures found deep within the glacier caused by the overlying ice. The pressure melts the ice, as "The melting point of ice falls by 0.0072 °C for each additional atm of pressure applied" (Wikipedia). A related phenomenon is recognized in glaciers called "regelation" in which this pressure melted water reforms into ice when the pressure is reduced.

Return to “2014 Study Events”