Astronomy C

swaz
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by swaz »

Hi, I have a question. I know there is a relationship between the absolute magnitude and luminosity of Cepheid variable stars. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding the exact relationship. Also, Type I Cepheids tend to be brighter than Type II but I can't seem to find an equation that represents the relationship between either Type I or Type II Cepheids.

Anybody?
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

swaz wrote:Hi, I have a question. I know there is a relationship between the absolute magnitude and luminosity of Cepheid variable stars. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding the exact relationship. Also, Type I Cepheids tend to be brighter than Type II but I can't seem to find an equation that represents the relationship between either Type I or Type II Cepheids.

Anybody?
This seems to be a bit of a recurring question; we had a discussion on it last year, which can be found at this here link (scroll up if you want to read the entire thing, I've only linked the most complete/relevant post).
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
rofllolcopt
State: NJ

Post by rofllolcopt »

has anyone been able to find any decent resources on the V1 DSO? I know it's a cepheid but searching it doesn't seem to produce anything useful.
bookluvr-yoyo39
State: FL

Post by bookluvr-yoyo39 »

This is going to be a random question and/or request, but I was looking at the old astro national tests and I realized that I didn't have the answers for the 2010 nats test. Does anyone have the answers? I wasn't in Astronomy (since i wasn't in Div C) at the time, so I don't know if the answers were released.

It would be really helpful if anyone had them!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

To rofllolcopt:
Sorry, but I don't really want to just give answers, but what have you done so far with it? Have you tried even googling "v1 cepheid"? I'll be honest, I'm not finding THAT much information on it either, so don't worry. Sometimes they give oddball DSOs.

To bookluvr:
http://www.aavso.org/science-olympiad should help you (go to 2010).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
CEOArchAngel

Post by CEOArchAngel »

Does anyone have a binder for this year for 2014?

I am new to this event and have no idea what anything means.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

CEOArchAngel wrote:Does anyone have a binder for this year for 2014?

I am new to this event and have no idea what anything means.
I have a binder! But I'm just biased that way, other people like AlphaTauri like to use laptops. Generally teams use both since both resources have advantages. But it's up to whatever works best for you and your partner. If you need a starting point I'd recommend the scioly wiki, a neat blog made by two familiar sciolyers ;) at onwardtotheedge.wordpress.com, or asking a more specific question. Have you read the rules? That'll help too.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

syo_astro wrote:...If you need a starting point I'd recommend the scioly wiki, a neat blog made by three familiar sciolyers ;) at onwardtotheedge.wordpress.com, or asking a more specific question. Have you read the rules? That'll help too.
Fix'd.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
Partphys
State: IL

Post by Partphys »

Where can I find online Astronomy Notes??
bookluvr-yoyo39
State: FL

Post by bookluvr-yoyo39 »

Does anyone know how to interpret light curves that give you orbital phase and visual magnitude in order to determine orbital period?
Be nice to your enemies. It will drive them crazy.

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Return to “2014 Study Events”