Water Quality B/C

caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by caseyotis »

I will definitely try that test soon and see how I do. :)
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
rtunnel97

Post by rtunnel97 »

so what exactly is the major difference between this years water quality rules and last years? i was hoping someone could define them a little better.
“If you like nerds, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.”
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

rtunnel97 wrote:so what exactly is the major difference between this years water quality rules and last years? i was hoping someone could define them a little better.
This year has substituted fresh water with ocean life and coral reefs. With that, I don't think the tests will be as focused on the WQI, and more on coral reef ecology and estuarine ecology.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
Je suis K
State: MN

Post by Je suis K »

Does anyone have advice on how to make the salinometer? How should I measure the salt and water mixtures?
Epicness101
Division: B

Post by Epicness101 »

Hey, anyone have any sites for the organisms as indicators of water quality?
From da Big Apple
Kazen
State: WA

Post by Kazen »

fleshy algaue is fleshy macroalgae/seaweed, right?
2015: Forensics/Mission/TPS/Fossils
2014: Forensics/Mission/Rocks/Water Qual
2013: Forensics/Rocks
2011: Rocks/Experimental
TwelveSquared
State: KS

Post by TwelveSquared »

Je suis K wrote:Does anyone have advice on how to make the salinometer? How should I measure the salt and water mixtures?
Well... I've never done water quality myself, but i was enlisted to build a salinometer for the team that was. We're using an electronic device that measures salinity based off the resistance of that sample. Relatively easy build(two metal contacts a particular distance apart, wired to an ohmmeter), and more than enough accuracy.
Tonganoxie High School
Astronomy, Geologic Mapping, Robot Arm, Hydrogeology
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

TwelveSquared wrote:
Je suis K wrote:Does anyone have advice on how to make the salinometer? How should I measure the salt and water mixtures?
Well... I've never done water quality myself, but i was enlisted to build a salinometer for the team that was. We're using an electronic device that measures salinity based off the resistance of that sample. Relatively easy build(two metal contacts a particular distance apart, wired to an ohmmeter), and more than enough accuracy.
Oh, now this is exciting. Would it be too much to ask for you to try to upload an image onto the Image Gallery? Or maybe tell how to make that? I've been looking for something that's not the straw/clay method.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”
TwelveSquared
State: KS

Post by TwelveSquared »

caseyotis wrote:
TwelveSquared wrote:
Oh, now this is exciting. Would it be too much to ask for you to try to upload an image onto the Image Gallery? Or maybe tell how to make that? I've been looking for something that's not the straw/clay method.
We haven't actually built the device yet, but i will once we do.
The build is, as stated above, pretty simple- some sort of multimeter/ohmmeter/something-that-measures-electrical-resistance device, and a small apparatus that contains two metal leads of a particular size and distance apart(it doesn't matter, so long as the resistance will be within your device's measurable range)that are connected to the device. Then, you would just dip the leads into the sample, and plug the reading into a formula. We aren't the first people to try this, so you should be able to find plans or similar online. That's where we got the idea in the first place, actually.
Tonganoxie High School
Astronomy, Geologic Mapping, Robot Arm, Hydrogeology
caseyotis

Post by caseyotis »

TwelveSquared wrote: We haven't actually built the device yet, but i will once we do.
The build is, as stated above, pretty simple- some sort of multimeter/ohmmeter/something-that-measures-electrical-resistance device, and a small apparatus that contains two metal leads of a particular size and distance apart(it doesn't matter, so long as the resistance will be within your device's measurable range)that are connected to the device. Then, you would just dip the leads into the sample, and plug the reading into a formula. We aren't the first people to try this, so you should be able to find plans or similar online. That's where we got the idea in the first place, actually.
Oh, okay.
Really? Odd. I looked up stuff like that online, and I couldn't find anything. I'm actually not that good at science, so that doesn't seem all that simple. But I'm sure I could make something like that with assistance.
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
eye.”

Return to “2014 Study Events”