Bungee Drop C

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Bungee Drop C

Post by chalker »

The Architect wrote:Must the entire cord be elastic, or just the bottom meter?
Rule 3.c. is pretty explicit in my opinion regarding the definition of elastic for this event applying only to the bottom meter. However, as always this isn't the place for official FAQs or clarifications......

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
juicemanman
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by juicemanman »

I've read over the rules several times, but I still don't understand a couple of things. I've been looking for pictures, but haven't been able to find any. Would anyone be willing to post a picture of the testing apparatus (I know no one wants to share their ideas)? It'll probably clear things up.
You can't read this. You mad bro?
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

techmaster55 wrote:Is anybody else as confused as I am on this event o_o. I mean does anybody have any ideas on how you can adjust the elasticity of the band (or something of the sort) after impound? Or am I the only one who is this confused...
I completely agree.

Rule 2b says something about the attachment point required to be at the top end of the elastic cord.
Rule 3a says you get time to prepare your device
Rule 3c says you cannot modify the cord after impound.

If you must attach to the top end and cannot modify the cord, exactly what is there to prepare?
The way I read the rules, if a team tried to use only part of their cord (an obvious solution) they would be guilty of either modifying the cord (by rolling it up) or not attaching to the top end.
Add the ambiguity of a release mechinism supplied by the event supervisor which must be used (3B) and the event appears impossible.

Hopefully I'm missing something.
FawnOnyx
State: MN

Post by FawnOnyx »

wlsguy wrote:Rule 2b says something about the attachment point required to be at the top end of the elastic cord.
Rule 3a says you get time to prepare your device
Rule 3c says you cannot modify the cord after impound.

If you must attach to the top end and cannot modify the cord, exactly what is there to prepare?
The way I read the rules, if a team tried to use only part of their cord (an obvious solution) they would be guilty of either modifying the cord (by rolling it up) or not attaching to the top end.
Add the ambiguity of a release mechinism supplied by the event supervisor which must be used (3B) and the event appears impossible.

Hopefully I'm missing something.
Yeah now that you point it out, the wording is confusing. But I always took it to mean you can adjust the "top end" of the cord by anchoring it at different positions, so "top end" is wherever you decide to anchor, not necessarily the other end of the cord. This makes sense with the statement in 3c that you can "mark drop locations on the cord before the drops."
Mounds View Science Olympiad Alumnus, 2011-2014
MIT Science Olympiad Volunteer
JesusIsMyMiddleName
Division: C
State: NY

Post by JesusIsMyMiddleName »

Does anyone have any ideas on how to create a bungee that is the length specified in the event? Also, can you have a nonelastic type rope for part of the bungee, and a elastic type rope for the last 1 meter as specified in rule 3c? My final question is: How is everyone planning on altering the bungee to different amounts of elasticity? Based on rule 3c in the rules sheet it does not look like any altercations can be made to the bungee once you begin? Does this mean that they will give you the height and weight of the testing a few minutes prior to testing, and allow you time to alter your structure?
Chicken wings are yummy.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

I'm planning on holding the bungee at different lengths in order to change how far it goes. It seems like this is the intent since the rules refer to marking lengths on the cord, I believe.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
mwloveslm
State: CA

Post by mwloveslm »

Can anyone post a picture of the testing device?
Livin' the Cali Lyfe (:
CHURCHILL MS
Build Events <3 <3
The Architect
State: VT

Post by The Architect »

What are people interpreting a "Self-limiting-brake" to be? Would this consider things such as parachutes to be brakes?
Science, yeah!

Made a new team. 7th place at NH states. Officially the champions of Vermont.

2015-2016 Events:
Air Trajectory, It's About Time, EXPD, and WIDI.
asdfqwerzzz2

Post by asdfqwerzzz2 »

The Architect wrote:What are people interpreting a "Self-limiting-brake" to be? Would this consider things such as parachutes to be brakes?
I believe it's saying that the elastic has to brake itself and go back to its original position by itself. This would include parachutes.
number_cruncher
State: MO

Post by number_cruncher »

Non-elastic Tethers would be another self-limiting brake. I imagine sheaths that cover the elastic would also be considered a brake.

Return to “2014 Build Events”