Rocks and Minerals B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
magtse
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by magtse »

Hello,

Hope It's the right 'area' to post this question, I am helping my daughter prep for Rocks & Minerals Div B. On the coaching material it says coach (i guess that's me!) should purchase inexpensive quartz crystals. May I ask if there are any suggestions on where to get them? Is there any particular types (clear, natural,etc?) Saw these sites but it has so many choices that I am not sure which to pick. If anyone can pin point a specific link or something that I can look to as a guidance it would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.healingcrystals.com/
http://www.bestcrystals.com/crystals2.html

Tks....
:? M
ali941
Division: C

Post by ali941 »

Well, I'm not a coach, but... If you choose to buy specimens of any rock/mineral, you will want the raw form, not cut or polished. For quartz specifically, I believe that the 2014 Rocks and Minerals list should list the specific types of quartz, i.e. citrine, amethyst, etc. One of each would be useful.
As for where to get them, if you choose to get them in person, I know that some galleries will carry small specimens. It's like an art gallery, but they display rocks instead.
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?
magtse

Post by magtse »

Thanks so much. I did end up purchasing some of the quartz, etc all over the place. Tks
magtse

Actual Event - Rocks/Minerals

Post by magtse »

All,

The Rocks & Minerals Coach Handbook recommends the Audubon Field Guide. I checked it out from Library and compare the pictures of the same mineral against the ESES's complete rock set for the event and they look quite different (my concern is not on the color). I am wondering, can anyone let me know if the samples on the actual event (or invitationals) test stations look more like the rock sets or more like the field guide pictures?

The field guide pictures are 'very colorful' and most times, very polished looking.

Tks,
m. :shock:
Je suis K
State: MN

Post by Je suis K »

Does anyone have any advice on how to study for this event? Should I just try to memorize all that I can about the specimens? And for the three ring binder we are allowed to bring with, can we fill it with as many note pages that we need or is there a limit? And what is the average amount of time you have had at the stations? I did this event once last year and I think we had about 5 minutes at every station, is this a common amount of time?
rickyrich98

Post by rickyrich98 »

I'm doing road scholar and we can take a binder with as many pages as we want so I assume its the same for you guys.. As for the time, I did forestry and we had about three minutes. It depends on the amount of questions.
Invite
Dynamic Planet-..
Road Scholar-1
Water Quality-1
Regional
Road Scholar-1
Forestry-1
State
Water Quality-2
Dynamic Planet-..
Road Scholar-9
Invite
Road Scholar-1
Entomology-1
Water Quality-6
Regional
Road Scholar-1
Entomology-2
Water Quality-3
technomario
State: PA

Post by technomario »

Any new rocks or minerals this year other than the split in Gypsum into three groups?
Henderson High School '16
Nick Luca
darkdeserthighway
State: NY

Post by darkdeserthighway »

Je suis K wrote:Does anyone have any advice on how to study for this event? Should I just try to memorize all that I can about the specimens? And for the three ring binder we are allowed to bring with, can we fill it with as many note pages that we need or is there a limit? And what is the average amount of time you have had at the stations? I did this event once last year and I think we had about 5 minutes at every station, is this a common amount of time?
You can fill the binder with as many as you need, and the time limit is usually 2-3 minutes per station, but time really depends on the number of stations.
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
darkdeserthighway
State: NY

Post by darkdeserthighway »

technomario wrote:Any new rocks or minerals this year other than the split in Gypsum into three groups?
I believe gypsum was already split into three groups last year.
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th

Return to “2014 Study Events”