Water Quality B/C

User avatar
TwelveSquared
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: June 17th, 2013, 12:29 pm
Division: C
State: KS
Location: Frogstar World B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by TwelveSquared » November 4th, 2013, 3:34 pm

caseyotis wrote:
TwelveSquared wrote: We haven't actually built the device yet, but i will once we do.
The build is, as stated above, pretty simple- some sort of multimeter/ohmmeter/something-that-measures-electrical-resistance device, and a small apparatus that contains two metal leads of a particular size and distance apart(it doesn't matter, so long as the resistance will be within your device's measurable range)that are connected to the device. Then, you would just dip the leads into the sample, and plug the reading into a formula. We aren't the first people to try this, so you should be able to find plans or similar online. That's where we got the idea in the first place, actually.
Oh, okay.
Really? Odd. I looked up stuff like that online, and I couldn't find anything. I'm actually not that good at science, so that doesn't seem all that simple. But I'm sure I could make something like that with assistance.
This should be a good place to start-http://mathinscience.info/public/home_m ... tmeter.doc. start with that, but find a way to fix the two leads a certain distance apart, then test a bunch of samples with different salinity. that should allow you to determine the correlation between your reading and the salinity, and you've got a salinometer.
Tonganoxie High School
Astronomy, Geologic Mapping, Robot Arm, Hydrogeology

User avatar
caseyotis
Member
Member
Posts: 680
Joined: October 25th, 2012, 7:53 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ithaca, NY, studying.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by caseyotis » November 4th, 2013, 4:31 pm

TwelveSquared wrote:
caseyotis wrote:
TwelveSquared wrote: We haven't actually built the device yet, but i will once we do.
The build is, as stated above, pretty simple- some sort of multimeter/ohmmeter/something-that-measures-electrical-resistance device, and a small apparatus that contains two metal leads of a particular size and distance apart(it doesn't matter, so long as the resistance will be within your device's measurable range)that are connected to the device. Then, you would just dip the leads into the sample, and plug the reading into a formula. We aren't the first people to try this, so you should be able to find plans or similar online. That's where we got the idea in the first place, actually.
Oh, okay.
Really? Odd. I looked up stuff like that online, and I couldn't find anything. I'm actually not that good at science, so that doesn't seem all that simple. But I'm sure I could make something like that with assistance.
This should be a good place to start-http://mathinscience.info/public/home_m ... tmeter.doc. start with that, but find a way to fix the two leads a certain distance apart, then test a bunch of samples with different salinity. that should allow you to determine the correlation between your reading and the salinity, and you've got a salinometer.
Oh! Thank you so much~
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 433
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 5:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: IU Bloomington
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by mnstrviola » November 4th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Je suis K wrote:Does anyone have advice on how to make the salinometer? How should I measure the salt and water mixtures?
To answer both your questions, check this link out!
http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... er12_0.pdf

^ I definitely recommend using the above design, as it's a lot easier to build and calibrate. Go for using a thing straw, as that will help make measurements more precise.

Godlike
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: November 17th, 2013, 5:03 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by Godlike » November 17th, 2013, 5:07 pm

What does the Fleshy Algae look like? Google Images doesn't pull up any useful images...

User avatar
Kazen
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: April 27th, 2012, 3:06 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: UNION HS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by Kazen » November 21st, 2013, 3:46 pm

Godlike wrote:What does the Fleshy Algae look like? Google Images doesn't pull up any useful images...
I think it's seaweed, but I'm not sure.



Do we only have to identify organisms on the list given in the rules or do we also have to know others? Since in the rules they put IDing and regarding the table into two separate sentences.
2015: Forensics/Mission/TPS/Fossils
2014: Forensics/Mission/Rocks/Water Qual
2013: Forensics/Rocks
2011: Rocks/Experimental

User avatar
CulturallyScientific
Member
Member
Posts: 176
Joined: December 29th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Berkeley, CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by CulturallyScientific » November 24th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Technically, identification is not supposed to go beyond the organisms listed in the table in the rules, but I've seen several tests where they've asked for ID of other organisms...
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)

User avatar
geminicross
Member
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 9:34 am
Division: C
State: GA
Location: Look Behind You
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by geminicross » November 29th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Can someone here explain BOD in a straightforward way? Thanks

User avatar
caseyotis
Member
Member
Posts: 680
Joined: October 25th, 2012, 7:53 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ithaca, NY, studying.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by caseyotis » November 29th, 2013, 9:04 pm

geminicross wrote:Can someone here explain BOD in a straightforward way? Thanks
The wiki entry does a pretty good job of explaining.

So decomposers need oxygen to break down organic material. Biological oxygen demand is the amount of dissolved oxygen that the organisms in a certain amount of water, at a certain temperature, need in order to break down the organic material that's in that certain water sample.
It's important because this microbial metabolism (the breakdown of organic material by the decomposers for food) often depletes the oxygen in the water faster than it can be replenished. Organisms that are less tolerant of low oxygen levels can die off.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

User avatar
rtunnel97
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: February 2nd, 2012, 11:23 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by rtunnel97 » November 30th, 2013, 10:05 am

geminicross wrote:Can someone here explain BOD in a straightforward way? Thanks
BOD is, in simple terms, the amount of oxygen needed by the organisms in an ecosystem to live. The demand can basically met or not.
“If you like nerds, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.”

PicturePerfect
Member
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: November 6th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: *insert funny comment*
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by PicturePerfect » December 2nd, 2013, 9:43 pm

Is there not a 2014 wiki for this event yet? Because this year it's about 'marine, coral reefs, and estuaries', and the wiki still shows last year's.
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |

Locked

Return to “2014 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests