Crime Busters B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Crime Busters B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
Olympian_Cau2134
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Olympian_Cau2134 »

So, this is my first event ever.So I will need some tips. Can anybody who has done crime busters before give me some info, specifically on hair or fiber analysis?
Austin Area Homeschoolers
cupcakegirl
Division: C
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

Olympian_Cau2134 wrote:So, this is my first event ever.So I will need some tips. Can anybody who has done crime busters before give me some info, specifically on hair or fiber analysis?
The best place to start is to look at the Crime Busters Wiki. For hair analysis, look at them under a microscope and do some googling to figure out how you're going to tell them apart. For fibers, do some burn tests and try to figure out the difference between the way animal, vegetable, and synthetic fibers burn. North Carolina has a really nice page with good videos for Crime Busters, including how to do a fiber test: http://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/crimebusters.php
A lot of Crime Busters you're going to have to figure out on your own because what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for the next person. Keep practicing, and you'll get it. :)

Good luck and have fun! :D
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
aljones
State: AL

Post by aljones »

Do we need to have blood on our resource sheet
Olympian_Cau2134

Post by Olympian_Cau2134 »

Does anybody know what form the polymers at the event will be in (like flakes or a cube)?
Austin Area Homeschoolers
Joseph Morales12
State: NY

Post by Joseph Morales12 »

Does anyone know what we need to have on our resource page? Just the general information.
emescferrall
State: AZ

Post by emescferrall »

@aljones, I don't think so. We've never had blood, and it's not mentioned in the parameters.
I took first at 2013 States as a 6th grader in Meteorology!!!

2014 State Results:

Anatomy: 2nd
Can't Judge A Powder: 9th
Crime Busters: 1st
Heredity: 3rd
Meteorology: 3rd
Sounds of Music: 2nd

2015 Events: Anatomy, Crave The Wave, Crime Busters, Experimental Design, Meteorology, Picture This
cupcakegirl

Post by cupcakegirl »

aljones wrote:Do we need to have blood on our resource sheet
I wouldn't focus on it too much, as the most you'll usually get is the origin of the impact, which isn't something notes will really help with. That being said, I once got some questions about it on an Invitational test a few years ago and ever since then I've had a text box on my notes for it. Basically if you have the time and space, go ahead, but you don't really HAVE to have it.
Olympian_Cau2134 wrote:Does anybody know what form the polymers at the event will be in (like flakes or a cube)?
Technically there is nothing in the rules about this, so a proctor can give you pretty much anything, but if you have a decent proctor you will probably get some pellets (not really flakes, but I guess they could be cubes). That's what they use at State and Nationals (then again, I could be wrong about Nationals, I honestly don't remember the test that well).
Joseph Morales12 wrote:Does anyone know what we need to have on our resource page? Just the general information.
Read the rules, look at the Crime Busters Wiki. I would recommend having the properties of all the substances and a fingerprint chart, especially if you're inexperienced, and basic information about anything listed in the rules.
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
Emerson_Connolly
State: CA

Post by Emerson_Connolly »

Hey I'm reaserching forensics but hasn't found one main site of infromation I can use, Does anyone know any, Thanks
cupcakegirl

Post by cupcakegirl »

Emerson_Connolly wrote:Hey I'm reaserching forensics but hasn't found one main site of infromation I can use, Does anyone know any, Thanks
I don't think there's really one specific site with everything, but the Crime Busters page on soinc.org has A TON of information and resources that should help. Beyond that, google. ;)

Return to “2014 Lab Events”