Sounds of Music B

TwelveSquared
Division: C
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music B

Post by TwelveSquared »

ScienceOlympian wrote:Sorry for the extremely ridiculous question that I asked recently. :(
Well, I received my guitar (medium tension, 80/20 bronze) strings yesterday. I think that the strings' tension will break the PVC pipe on the harp.
I am going to drill holes onto the neck and the soundboard and tie knots in the holes to secure the strings in place, and I'm pretty sure that the tension of the strings will snap the column of the harp in half. Do you think that medium guitar strings tuned from C2-C5 will break a PVC harp? (Look at PVC Piper Harp. It is approximately 34 inches at the longest string's location (C2)
Should I just build another instrument and return the PVC? Or should I take the chance that the harp will not break and use the harp for the competition, which is in 3 weeks?
Well, from my experience last year w/ building a guitar for this event, i have an estimate that each string puts about 5 lbs of tension on the instrument. Of course, this is with standard guitar string tuning, where it's from E2-E4, not C2-C5. That higher range is going to have somewhat more tension. Furthermore, the tension would also depend on the type of string. Classical nylon would obviously create less strain than 80/20 bronze. I was using silk/steel, but i believe those tension estimates were for standard bronze. Probably not much difference between the two, anyway.
So, assuming you're doing a full chromatic scale, that's something like 5*12*3=180 pounds spread across the support.
With some engineering, you might be able to make it strong enough to keep it intact. If it doesn't, a change of material(and/or thickness of said material) should work.
Tonganoxie High School
Astronomy, Geologic Mapping, Robot Arm, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by ScienceOlympian »

I don't think that I should continue with the harp. Too many things can go wrong.
Now back to square 1. So what instruments blend well with flute?
And what can I make with PVC pipe, a bunch of elbows (PVC and ABS), and 6 packs of guitar strings?
Srsly I should have thought this a bit more before buying the materials

Also, I remember reading that we shouldn't make Instrument 1 and 2 the same kind of instrument. (like wind, string, or percussion). Am I making something up? Or if it's true, then why?
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

ScienceOlympian wrote:Also, I remember reading that we shouldn't make Instrument 1 and 2 the same kind of instrument. (like wind, string, or percussion). Am I making something up? Or if it's true, then why?
It's because of (I think) the originality and instrument varieties scoring segment. You might lose points, depending on the judges, if you have two of the same kind of instrument.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
billiambobjoe
Division: B
State: WA

Post by billiambobjoe »

How do you think a pvc panflute (panpipes), and a pvc marimba would do as a pair? Would that be a bad combination?
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

I have to get the harp done in a week, and I have to find out how to attach the strings onto the neck of the harp without losing any tension or the string slipping.
Any ideas? This it the last step of the construction!
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
phil9047

Post by phil9047 »

I have a question about the sheet music for the songs we are playing. Is it okay for the sheet music to be computer-generated? What information should be included on it? Also, should I cite who the music is from?
Sine functions are quite odd, to be honest.
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

phil9047 wrote:I have a question about the sheet music for the songs we are playing. Is it okay for the sheet music to be computer-generated? What information should be included on it? Also, should I cite who the music is from?
Yes, absolutely. Last season I used Noteflight to arrange my music, and there was never an issue. You should cite the composer, and you do earn points for putting your names, the school, and the team number.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

I submitted 3 FAQ's about Sounds of Music and there has been no reply, even though I sent them 1.5 months ago. I wonder what rule of the FAQ I didn't follow.
I only remember one question:
It says that the allowable scoring range for Instrument 1 is F3-G5. Therefore, can we play G5 in our music (Hornpipe and the other piece) without a penalty?
(I didn't add the following part in the FAQ, so I only asked one question) Or is the highest note that we can play F#5?
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

G5 would almost certainly be allowed.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

SO...my invitational is tomorrow and my harp goes drastically out of tune every two minutes...Should I bring it to the invite to show everyone that we made a harp (I cannot even play a song or a scale...it is so out of tune). Or should I leave the harp home and just use the flute? However, would we get zero points for the song part because we only have one instrument, since it says: all competitors must play one instrument? Our flute is perfectly fine and I can play a song on it. But my partner would be just sitting around...Help!
The harp cannot play anything btw. But I still have a flute that is in tune and I can play Hornpipe and Water Music... So what should I do? Would I get half of the points that I would get if I had a harp, or will I get no points on the Part 1-2 scores? I need advice ASAP

Return to “2014 Build Events”