Metric Mastery B

billyhoho
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by billyhoho »

Honestly, I would remember to use VERY unused measurements... because you'll use them. Also, try to be better with the smaller units, so if you convert it up you're closer to the margin of error than say if you converted down from meters to centimeters and the such.
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. You cannot make a revolution with silk gloves. Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

billyhoho wrote:Honestly, I would remember to use VERY unused measurements... because you'll use them. Also, try to be better with the smaller units, so if you convert it up you're closer to the margin of error than say if you converted down from meters to centimeters and the such.
The "very unused" you want to focus on are metric units! No hogsheads or slugs or whatever.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

So I went to an invitationals, and the 5 metric conversion problems were more complicated than meters, cm, mm, km, etc. So my question is, what should we expect for regionals in our conversions? Just the simple khdudcm, or terra, giga and that stuff/periods(in frequency),etc.?
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
billyhoho

Post by billyhoho »

hscmom wrote:
billyhoho wrote:Honestly, I would remember to use VERY unused measurements... because you'll use them. Also, try to be better with the smaller units, so if you convert it up you're closer to the margin of error than say if you converted down from meters to centimeters and the such.
The "very unused" you want to focus on are metric units! No hogsheads or slugs or whatever.

^ True :mrgreen: But the Imperial system is also used.
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. You cannot make a revolution with silk gloves. Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.
billyhoho

Post by billyhoho »

Honestly, I think invitationals are run better than regionals (at least for how it is in Division B). Thus, invitationals will be a bit harder. However, be sure to expect even more complex measurements beyond km, cm, and mm. However, it's usually the smaller measurements. Unless they put a proportion or something I don't think they'd be able to ask for gigameters or something :lol: . You never know, though. Just think about it though. This is regionals. If it was nationals, they might get random things you've NEVER seen before, but with regionals you might be able to find everything at your house.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

billyhoho wrote:
hscmom wrote:

^ True :mrgreen: But the Imperial system is also used.
Er... sorry if the rules have changed since I last did Metric in 2008, but... isn't the point of the event that the units are supposed to be, well... metric? Meaning that supervisors really shouldn't use imperial units...
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
billyhoho

Post by billyhoho »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote: Er... sorry if the rules have changed since I last did Metric in 2008, but... isn't the point of the event that the units are supposed to be, well... metric? Meaning that supervisors really shouldn't use imperial units...
"Supposed to" lol and "shouldn't" but when your proctor is accustomed to imperial units... especially being in the US, you're going to see a few... scattered, but a few questions like that. I doubt they'd do stuff like that at nats though... more regionals
treeling
State: CO

Post by treeling »

Beastybob12345 wrote:
Oh, and just a question, we're not allowed to touch ANYTHING during the competition right? This is my first year doing Metric.

Thanks
In the rules it say "competitors must be allowed to heft" so with mass and weight objects we are going to be allowed to touch those.
2016 Scores
PMS Inv/Reg/State

Bio-Process 2/1/5
Disease 2/1/1
Invasive 1/1/1
Mission Possible -/1/1
Picture This 2/1/3

2017 Scores
Reg/State

Disease -/-
Invasive -/-
Robot Arm -/-
WIDI -/-
billyhoho

Post by billyhoho »

treeling wrote:
Beastybob12345 wrote:
Oh, and just a question, we're not allowed to touch ANYTHING during the competition right? This is my first year doing Metric.

Thanks
In the rules it say "competitors must be allowed to heft" so with mass and weight objects we are going to be allowed to touch those.
Honestly that's also common sense... I don't think you'd be expected to memorize densities for middle school >.>. Especially of EVERYTHING...
AAHALD01
Division: B
State: KY

Post by AAHALD01 »

Does anybody know a really good ways to study for Metric Mastery? Also, what are some excellent resources to use to study?

Return to “2014 Lab Events”