Road Scholar B

silentsage
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by silentsage »

The rules I have followed (correctly) allow for 1 binder, as large as you want, per team. That binder may be in addition to the tools you have stated, along with whtever else you think you will need (no laptops, etc., of course). I doubt there is a limit to the number of rulers/protractors/calculators you can use. I would have 2 or 3 rulers and was never prohibited use of them. Most proctors don't really check to see exactly what you have, however.
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
hmssciencenerd
Division: B
State: AL

Post by hmssciencenerd »

What is the best way to prepare :ugeek:
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I can't answer that for you. It's different for everyone.

My recommendations, however:
  • Become friends with the Road Scholar Wiki
  • Use your binder effectively and know how to find things in it
  • Get as much experience as you can looking at maps (as well as practice tests)
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
hmssciencenerd
State: AL

Post by hmssciencenerd »

percyjackson2014
State: WA

Post by percyjackson2014 »

19puppylover wrote:Are there is sites that are good for Road Scholar? Also, can we bring a scientific calculator to the competition? :?
Yes you can bring any calculator, but not one on a phone APP.
Another good web site for Road Scholar or any event is Quizlet. On Quizlet you can flashcard your self and take online tests! It is very good, and you can even make your own test for other people to do.
2015 Events:
Crime Busters
Entomology
Green Generation
Bio Process Lab

2014 State Results
2nd Crime Busters
3rd Entomology
6th Road Scholar
nivebala
State: CA

HELP!

Post by nivebala »

This is my first year doing Road Scholar. My partner and I are looking for places to buy Topographic Maps. Also, do you know how we can print downloaded maps in a big (map) size way? PLEASE HELP! We want to fine tune our skills and be ready for regionals! :D
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I would suggest simply using the topographic maps provided online by USGS and other services without printing them out. You would still be able to do everything you'd need to do to practice (identifying symbols and such) without having to actually spend money. To print them out you'd need a printer capable of printing out something that large, and I'd expect those to be tough to find. So I'd just try to get access to a computer where you can study the USGS topographic maps online as much possible.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
nivebala

Post by nivebala »

zyzzyva980 wrote:I would suggest simply using the topographic maps provided online by USGS and other services without printing them out. You would still be able to do everything you'd need to do to practice (identifying symbols and such) without having to actually spend money. To print them out you'd need a printer capable of printing out something that large, and I'd expect those to be tough to find. So I'd just try to get access to a computer where you can study the USGS topographic maps online as much possible.

Thanks! :)
nivebala

Post by nivebala »

zyzzyva980 wrote:I would suggest simply using the topographic maps provided online by USGS and other services without printing them out. You would still be able to do everything you'd need to do to practice (identifying symbols and such) without having to actually spend money. To print them out you'd need a printer capable of printing out something that large, and I'd expect those to be tough to find. So I'd just try to get access to a computer where you can study the USGS topographic maps online as much possible.
The reason we wanted to print out the map was to measure distances between locations. Is there a way we can do this online?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

nivebala wrote:
The reason we wanted to print out the map was to measure distances between locations. Is there a way we can do this online?
I guess if you don't mind touching your computer screen you could use the scales on maps along with a ruler/piece of paper?
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2014 Study Events”