Division: B
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by percyjackson2014 »

cupcakegirl wrote:
Joseph Morales12 wrote:What is HCI
Hydrochloric acid. In Crime Busters, we use 1 molar HCl.
HCL is... Hydrochloric acid :)
2015 Events:
Crime Busters
Entomology
Green Generation
Bio Process Lab

2014 State Results
2nd Crime Busters
3rd Entomology
6th Road Scholar
percyjackson2014

Post by percyjackson2014 »

I need some help, i can't tell the difference between H2O and Hydrogen Peroxide!!!! I have tested it w/ shaking it and seeing if it bubbles with I2, it does not. I have tried testing everything!!!!!!!! I have even tried seeing if the ph will change if I put a drop of I2 and HCL in to it! None of my lab work shows any difference in the two!!!!! HELP! :?:
2015 Events:
Crime Busters
Entomology
Green Generation
Bio Process Lab

2014 State Results
2nd Crime Busters
3rd Entomology
6th Road Scholar
bob doyson
Division: C

Post by bob doyson »

percyjackson2014 wrote:I need some help, i can't tell the difference between H2O and Hydrogen Peroxide!!!! I have tested it w/ shaking it and seeing if it bubbles with I2, it does not. I have tried testing everything!!!!!!!! I have even tried seeing if the ph will change if I put a drop of I2 and HCL in to it! None of my lab work shows any difference in the two!!!!! HELP! :?:
Last edited by bob doyson on January 6th, 2014, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
-Wernher von Braun
-Camas High School
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

bob doyson wrote:
percyjackson2014 wrote:I need some help, i can't tell the difference between H2O and Hydrogen Peroxide!!!! I have tested it w/ shaking it and seeing if it bubbles with I2, it does not. I have tried testing everything!!!!!!!! I have even tried seeing if the ph will change if I put a drop of I2 and HCL in to it! None of my lab work shows any difference in the two!!!!! HELP! :?:
One of the ways I'm an able tell the difference between Hydrogen Peroxide and water, is to take a dropper, and drop a drop of the liquid on your skin, if it bubbles, it's Hydrogen Peroxide.
Rule 4d does not allow the touching or tasting of the chemicals... As an Event Proctor, I include all liquids as chemicals, as it is just a very bad lab practice to put unknown materials on your skin... If you get use to that now, what happens when you get to college and are given 10M Nitric acid as an unknown? There are much better ways to determine if it is H2O or H2O2 than to shake or become a human guinea pig... Continue to experiment using the other "unknown" chemicals you are given.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
emescferrall
State: AZ

Post by emescferrall »

Do not put it on your skin. I have found that a good way to tell the difference between the two. Put a drop of Iodine in both liquids, and WAIT!!! When I first tried this, it was at least a minute and a half before I got a reaction. Hydrogen Peroxide will have VERY small bubbles!! You will have to look closely, because the bubbles are minuscule. However, they are there!! Trust me :-) Btw, I love your username!!
I took first at 2013 States as a 6th grader in Meteorology!!!

2014 State Results:

Anatomy: 2nd
Can't Judge A Powder: 9th
Crime Busters: 1st
Heredity: 3rd
Meteorology: 3rd
Sounds of Music: 2nd

2015 Events: Anatomy, Crave The Wave, Crime Busters, Experimental Design, Meteorology, Picture This
bob doyson
Division: C

Post by bob doyson »

emescferrall wrote:

Do not put it on your skin. I have found that a good way to tell the difference between the two. Put a drop of Iodine in both liquids, and WAIT!!! When I first tried this, it was at least a minute and a half before I got a reaction. Hydrogen Peroxide will have VERY small bubbles!! You will have to look closely, because the bubbles are minuscule. However, they are there!! Trust me :-) Btw, I love your username!!
Oh that's right, I missed that part of the rules, thanks for the clearification
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
-Wernher von Braun
-Camas High School
[Isis2014]
State: NJ

Post by [Isis2014] »

Hey. This is my first year doing Crime Busters...Any tips?!? or things to remember?!?!
vennowsah
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by vennowsah »

[Isis2014] wrote:Hey. This is my first year doing Crime Busters...Any tips?!? or things to remember?!?!
The Crime Busters Wiki should have everything you need to know, or at least the basics. Also, have a list the densities of some of the most common liquids such as water, alcohol, iodine, etc. as well as the densities of all the substances you need to test out. This really comes in handy when identifying them. And be sure to manage your time properly, as I always run out of time to write the essay. XD Try to save at least 15 minutes near the end to work on your essay/analysis.
Hope that helped. (:
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high
[Isis2014]
State: NJ

Post by [Isis2014] »

vennowsah wrote:
[Isis2014] wrote:Hey. This is my first year doing Crime Busters...Any tips?!? or things to remember?!?!
The Crime Busters Wiki should have everything you need to know, or at least the basics. Also, have a list the densities of some of the most common liquids such as water, alcohol, iodine, etc. as well as the densities of all the substances you need to test out. This really comes in handy when identifying them. And be sure to manage your time properly, as I always run out of time to write the essay. XD Try to save at least 15 minutes near the end to work on your essay/analysis.
Hope that helped. (:
thnx :)
emescferrall
State: AZ

Post by emescferrall »

[Isis2014] wrote:
vennowsah wrote:
Hope that helped. (:
thnx :)
Also, KNOW YOUR POWDERS, LIQUIDS, AND METALS!!!!!
I took first at 2013 States as a 6th grader in Meteorology!!!

2014 State Results:

Anatomy: 2nd
Can't Judge A Powder: 9th
Crime Busters: 1st
Heredity: 3rd
Meteorology: 3rd
Sounds of Music: 2nd

2015 Events: Anatomy, Crave The Wave, Crime Busters, Experimental Design, Meteorology, Picture This

Return to “2014 Lab Events”